Reticulo-Endothelial Activity and some Metabolic Changes Related to Trauma
Extensive earlier studies have focused on the metabolic changes after different kinds of trauma. The protein catabolism (2, 3, 4) in such conditions as well as hematological changes (7, 12) are well known but the cause of these metabolic changes is not yet known. Postoperative blood loss or hemolysis can sometimes be responsible for the anemia but does not seem to be the sole cause. It has been proposed that liberation of corticosteroids as a result of “stress” may be responsible for some metabolic changes (19). Finally, some authors believe that substances liberated from the wounded area cause some of the changes. The present aim was to study the possible relationship between the reticulo-endothelial (R.E.) activity after trauma and metabolic changes such as the plasma elimination of folic acid and radioiron.
KeywordsElimination Rate Colloidal Gold Reticuloendothelial System Lipid Emulsion Rose Bengal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benacerraf, B., G. Biozzi, N. Halpern, C. Stiffel, Physiology of phagocytosis of particles by the RES in Physio-Pathology of the Reticulo-endothelial System: S2, B.N. Halpern Ed. Blackwell Scientific Publ. Oxford, England, 1957.Google Scholar
- 5.DiLuzio, N.R., S.J. Riggi. The development of a lipid emulsion for the measurement of reticulo-endothelial function. 7. Reticuloendothelial Soc. 1: 136, 1964.Google Scholar
- 7.Elman, A., J. Einhorn, S.O. Liljedahl, P. Reizenstein. Plasma elimination of nutrients in tissue damage. Transaction of the Swedish Physicians national conference. p. 127, 1968.Google Scholar
- 8.Fischer, J., R. Wolf. Die szintigrafische Darstellung der Milz mit Radiochrom (51 Cr). Med. Wschr. 88:1436, 1963.Google Scholar
- 9.Gheorghescu, B., B. Wiklund-Haramarström, P. Reizenstein. Reticulo-endothelial function in cancer and collagenic diseases. In press 1971.Google Scholar
- 11.Lemperle, G., H. Reichel, S. Denh. The evaluation of phagocytic activity in men by means of a lipid clearance test. 6th Int. Meeting of Reticuloendothelial Soc. Freiburg, p. 83, July, 1970.Google Scholar
- 14.Marculesco L., G. Jovin, O. Hoanca, B. Gheorghescu. La clearance au moyen de l’or colloidal radioactif pour l’evaluation de la circulation hépatique dans les affections inflammatoires chroniques de foie. Rev.Roum. Med. Int. 5:231, 1968.Google Scholar
- 15.Meurman, L. On the distribution and kinetics of injected I 131 Rose Bengal. An experimental study with special reference to the evaluation of liver function. Acta Med. Scand. 1: 169, 1960.Google Scholar
- 16.Mouridsen, H.T., Turnover of human serum albumin before and after operations. Clin. Sci. 3:345, 1967.Google Scholar
- 18.Rosenthal, L. The application of radioiodinated Rose Bengal and colloidal radiogold in the detection of hepatobiliary disease. Warren H. Green, S:t Louis, Missouri, U.S.A. 1969.Google Scholar
- 19.Stuart A.E. The reticuloendothelial system. E.R.S. Livingstone, p. 105, 1970.Google Scholar