Germinal Center Formation and Antibody Production in Chickens Grafted in Ovo With Allogeneic Thymus, Bursa, and Spleen
Observations on the ontogeny and function of chicken lymphoid tissue have suggested that the germinal centers and plasma cells are bursa-dependent, whereas the small lymphocyte population is thymus dependent [1, 2, 3]. In addition, it has been stated that germinal center cells and plasma cells are direct descendents of lymphoid cells from the bursa of Fabricius , since in bursectomized and irradiated birds the injection of autologous bursal cells resulted in the appearance of germinal centers and plasma cells 7 weeks later . Some evidence has suggested that the thymus may play a role in the development of germinal follicles . The present study was designed to provide further information about the relationship between the cellular functions of the thymus and bursa and the formation of germinal centers in chicken lymphoid tissues.
KeywordsPlasma Cell Germinal Center Small Lymphocyte Direct Descendent Germinal Center Formation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.M. G. Hanna Jr., C. C Congdon, and C. J. Wust, Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med., 121:286, 1966.Google Scholar
- 12.R. G. White, in: G. E. W. Wolstenholme and J. Knight, Eds., The Immunologically Competent Cell: Its Nature and Origin, p. 6. Ciba Foundation Study Group No. 16. Boston: Little, Brown, 1963.Google Scholar
- 13.J. E. Kindred, Arch. Pathol., 47:378, 1947.Google Scholar
- 15.S. Amano, Annual Report of the Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Series A., 1:1, 1958.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Hirata-Hibi, J. Reticuloendothelial Soc., 4:370, 1967.Google Scholar
- 17.M. G. Hanna Jr., D. C. Swartzendruber, and C. C Congdon, in: H. Cottier, N. Odartchenko, R. Schindler, and C. C Congdon, Eds., Germinal Centers in Immune Responses, p. 187. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1967.Google Scholar
- 18.A. Fargaeus, Acta. Med. Scand. (Suppl. 204), 130:3, 1948.Google Scholar
- 20.T. N. Harris and S. Harris, Federation Proc., 16:643, 1957.Google Scholar