Oxygen Redistribution in UO2 Due to a Temperature Gradient
Uranium dioxide exhibits a wide range of stoichiometxy with the deviation from stoichiometry, x, ranging from -0.31 to +0.24. The observation of oxygen redistribution in uranium dioxide based fuels in a nuclear reactor and the consequent effect on operational performance parameters, has prompted investigation of the migration of oxygen in a temperature gradient. Several laboratory studies have been conducted on both uranium dioxide and mixed oxide fuels [1–6].
KeywordsUranium Dioxide Constant Flux Partial Molar Enthalpy Zero Flux Partial Molar Free Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.G. Adamson and R.F.A. Carney, Thermal Diffusion Phenomena in Non-Stoichiometric Oxide Fuels, United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority Technical Report AERE-R6830, AERA-R6831, (October, 1972).Google Scholar
- 4.E.A. Aitken, S.K. Evans, M.G. Adamson and T.E. Ludlow, A Thermodynamic Data Program Involving Plutonia and Urania at High Tenperatures, General Electric Vallecitos Nuclear Center Technical Report GEAP-12210 (April 1971).Google Scholar
- 6.R.E. Fryxell, Behavior of Urania in a Thermal Gradient and Control of Urania Stoichicmetry, General Electric Nuclear Technology Department Technical Report GEMP-516 (May 1967).Google Scholar
- 8.S.R. de Groot and P. Mazur, “Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics,” North Holland Publishing Co. London (1962).Google Scholar
- 11.T.L. Markin and M.H. Rand, Some Thermodynamic Aspects of (U, Pu)O2 and Their Use as Nuclear Fuels, United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority Technical Report AERE-5560 (August 1971).Google Scholar
- 14.D.D. Marchant, ScD Thesis, Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science, 1974, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.A.Google Scholar
- 15.R.E. Fryxell, in “U.S./Japan Research Newsletter No. 5” (W.E. Roake, H.J. Anderson and M.P. Burns, ed.) pp. 68–71, Pacific Northwest laboratory, Richland, Washington (November 1966).Google Scholar
- 16.P.O. Perron, Thermodynamics of Non-Stoichiometric Uranium Dioxide, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited Technical Report AECL-3072 (May 1968).Google Scholar