Fabrication and Irradiation Behavior of Uranium Mononitride
Uranium mononitride is a candidate fuel for nuclear reactors for applications in space because of its high thermal conductivity, high fissile atom density, and dimensional stability at high temperature. High purity UN ceramics fabricated from nitride powders by uniaxial or isostatic pressing and sintered in nitrogen at temperatures ⩾2000°C, were irradiated at fuel temperatures to 1500°C and 2 w/c burnup. Results indicate no chemical reaction zone between fuel and metallic cladding, fuel swelling less than 2.8% Δ/V per atomic percent burnup, and maximum fission gas release of 7% of that generated.
KeywordsRankine Cycle Fuel Pellet Nitride Powder Brayton Cycle Uranium Nitride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. W. Davidson, Preliminary Analysis of Accidents in a Lithium-Cooled Space Nuclear Powerplant, NASA-TM S-1937, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (January 1970).Google Scholar
- 2.G. P. Lahte y Preliminary Considerations for Fast Spectrum, Liquid-Metal Cooled Nuclear Reactor Program for Space-Power Applications, NASA TND-4315, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (March 1968).Google Scholar
- 3.D. B. Trauger. Some Major Fuel Irradiation Test Facilities of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, ORNL-3574, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (April 1964).Google Scholar
- 4.V. A. DeCarloy. Design of a Capsule for Irradiation Testing of Uranium Nitride Fuel, ORNL-TM-2363, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (February 1969).Google Scholar
- 5.S. C. Weaver, K. R. Thoms, and V. A. DeCarlo, Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc. 12 (2) 547 (1969).Google Scholar
- 6.R. F. Hilbert, V. W. Storhok, and W. Chubb, Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc. 13 102 (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.Richard F. Hilbert, Victor W. Storhok, and W. Chubb, Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc. 12 547 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.R. L. Heestand, J. I.Federer, and C. F. Leitten, Jr., Preparation and Evaluation of Vapor Deposited Tungsten, ORNL-3662, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (August 1964).Google Scholar
- 9.T. N. Washburn, K. R. Thoms, S. C. Weaver, D. R. Cuneo, and E. L. Long, Jr., Trans. Am. Nucl. Soc. 13 101 (1970).Google Scholar