Studies with IBT Resistant and IBT-Dependent Mutants of Vaccinia Virus to Clarify the Mechanism of the Antipox Activity
The macromolecular events of vaccinia virus growth which are inhibted by isatin thiosemicarbazone (IBT) were followed. It was found that the maturation of the virus was blocked, although viral DNA, “early” polypeptides and most of the “late” viral polypeptides were synthesized in the presence of the drug. A similar maturational block occurred with the IBT— dependent mutant when growing in the absence of IBT.
Eight thiosemicarbazone-containing compounds which inhibited the growth of the wild-type strain and to which the IBT-resistant mutant showed resistance, supported the gorwth of the IBT-dependent mutant. This indicates that there is a correlation between the abilities of the compound to inhibit the wild-type growth and to enhance the growth of the IBT-dependent mutant. Two compounds which did not follow this rule and inhibited the growth of all three virus strains were found to inhibit virus growth by a mechanism different from that of IBT, which resulted in failure of the virus to synthesize its DNA. Their antiviral action is not attributed to the thiosemicarbazone component of the molecule but to the chemical structure attached.
KeywordsVaccinia Virus Dependent Mutant Virus Growth Structural Polypeptide General Virology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bauer, D., Dumbell, K., Fox-Hulme, P., and Sadler, P. (1962)”. Bulletin W.H.O., 26, 727.Google Scholar
- Hamre, E., Bernstein, J. and Donovick, R. (1950). Proceedings of the Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine, 73, 275.Google Scholar
- Hamre, D., Brownlee, L., and Donovick, R. (1951). Journal of Immunology, 67, 305.Google Scholar
- Minton, S., Officer, J. and Thompson, R. (1953). Journal of Immunology, 70, 222.Google Scholar
- Roily, H. and Winkelman, E. (1971). In: Advances of Antimicrobial and Antineoplastic Chemotherapy. Edited by M. Hejzlar, M. Semansky and S. Masak, p. 305.Google Scholar
- Singh, M. and Sugden, J.K. (1971). Pharmaceutic Acta Helvetiae, 46, 627.Google Scholar
- Thompson, R., Davis, J., Russell, P. and Hitchings, G. (1953b). Proceed-ints of the Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine, 84, 496.Google Scholar
- Thompson, R., Minton, S. Jr., Officer, J., and Hitchings, G. (1953a). Journal of Immunology, 70, 229.Google Scholar
- Thompson, R., Price, M. and Minton, S. (1951). Proceedings of the Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine, 78, 11.Google Scholar
- Tsunoda, A., Miyazaki, K., Aota, T., Matsumoto, S., Kumagai, K. and Ishada, N. (1971). Japanese Journal of Microbiology, 16, 61.Google Scholar