Charge State Dependence of Stopping Power for Oxygen Ions Channeled in Silver
In previous work  it was shown that electron capture and loss cross sections for 30–40 MeV oxygen ions in Au channels were small enough (~10-19 cm2) to preclude charge state equilibrium in crystals 1 μm thick. In fact, a large fraction of charges 8+ and 7+ passed through the crystal without any charge exchange. In this work we show that similar conditions obtain in Ag and we have measured the charge state dependence of the stopping power for 27.8 and 40 MeV 0 ions in the  axial channel. We find that for those ions which do not undergo charge exchange S = kq2 for charges 6+, 7+ and 8+. Other features observed in the energy spectra of the emergent ions are attributable to charge exchange in the crystal. Screening by Fermi electrons is expected to be the same for channeled and randomly penetrating ions. The results indicate that this screening is not effective in reducing the energy loss of the ion.
KeywordsCharge State Charge State Distribution Dynamic Screening High Energy Loss Loss Cross Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N. O. Lassen, Kgl. Danske Videnskab. Selskab, Mat.-Fys. Medd. 26, No. 5 and 12.Google Scholar
- H. D. Betz and L. Grodzins, Phys. Rev. Letters 25, 211(1970).Google Scholar
- S. Datz, B. R. Appleton, J. A. Biggerstaff, M. G. Menendez and C. D. Moak, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 18, 662 (1973).Google Scholar
- N. Bohr and J. Linhard, Kgl. Danske Videnskab, Mat.-Fys. Medd. 28, No. 7 (1954).Google Scholar
- J. H. Barrett, B. R. Appleton, T. S. Noggle, C. D. Moak, J. A. Biggerstaff and S. Datz, this volume.Google Scholar
- V. N. Neelavathi and R. H. Ritchie, this volume.Google Scholar