Muscarinic Modulation of Acetylcholine Release from the Myenteric Plexus of the Guinea Pig Small Intestine
The concept of a local feedback regulation of neurotransmitter release has been most intensively studied in the adrenergic system (See Ref. 13 for review). The feedback hypothesis of noradrenaline release is based on the findings that α-adrenolytic drugs enhance, and α-adrenoceptor agonists reduce neuronal noradrenaline release. Relatively few systematic studies have been made on the influence of cholinolytic and cholinomimetic drugs on the release of ACh. Szerb and Somogyi (14) reported that the potent muscarinic agonist oxotremorine inhibited ACh output from cerebral cortical slices. Further, the muscarinic antagonists atropine and hyoscine have been found to facilitate the release of ACh from brain tissue in vivo (See Ref. 6 for references) and in vitro (2, 12). These findings led to the hypothesis that there is local regulation of ACh release from central cholinergic neurons via a negative feedback mechanism (12). The aim of the present work was to investigate whether the ACh output from the myenteric plexus of the guinea pig small intestine can also be modulated by atropine and muscarinic drugs.
KeywordsMyenteric Plexus Acetylcholine Release Negative Feedback Mechanism Stimulation Period Tyrode Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bourdois, P.S., Mitchell, J. F., Somogyi, G. T. and Szerb, J. C. (1974): Brit. J. Pharmacol. 52:509–517.Google Scholar
- 3.Collier, B. and Katz, H.S. (1970): Brit. J. Pharmacol. 39:428–438.Google Scholar
- 4.Collier, B. and Katz, H.S. (1975): Brit. J. Pharmacol. 55:189–197.Google Scholar
- 8.Knoll, J. and Vizi, E. S. (1971): Brit. J. Pharmacol. 41:263–272.Google Scholar
- 10.Paton, W.D. M. and Vizi, E.S. (1969): Brit. J. Pharmacol. 35:10–28.Google Scholar
- 11.Paton, W.D. M. and Zar, M. A. (1968): J. Physiol. (Lond.) 194:13–33.Google Scholar
- 12.Polak, R.L. (1971): Brit. J. Pharmacol. 41:600–606.Google Scholar
- 14.Szerb, J. C. and Somogyi, G.T. (1973): Nature 241:121–122.Google Scholar
- 15.Vizi, E.S. (1974): J. Neural Transmission, Suppl. 11:61–78.Google Scholar