Cocaine: Distribution and Metabolism in Animals
The abuse potential of cocaine primarily initiated through the intense euphoric effect of the drug with subsequent inducement of psychic dependence (Deneau, Yanagita, and Seevers, 1969) has prompted us to study the physiological disposition and metabolism of this drug in acutely- and chronically-treated animals. Although several reports have appeared in the literature (Woods, McMahon, and Seevers, 1951; Ortiz, 1966; Montesinos, 1965; Fish and Wilson, 1969), there is a paucity of data on the general pharmacodynamics of cocaine, especially in regards to disposition, metabolism, psychic dependence, tolerance, and the central mechanisms of action of this drug.
KeywordsTotal Radioactivity Fecal Excretion Chronic Group Acute Group Physiological Disposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fish, F. and Wilson, W.D.C.: Excretion of cocaine and its metabo- lites in man, J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 21:1355–138S (1969).Google Scholar
- Misra, A.L., Pontani, R.B., and Mulé, S.J.: Separation of cocaine, some of its metabolites and congeners on glass-fibre sheets, J. Chromat. 81:167–169 (1973).Google Scholar
- Misra, A.L., Nayak, P.K., Patel, M.N., Vadlamani, N.L., and Mulé, S.J.: Identification of norcocaine as a metabolite of [3H] cocaine in rat brain, Experientia 30: 1312–1314 (1974)Google Scholar
- Misra, A.L., Patel, M.A., Alluri, V.R., Mulé, S.J., and Nayak, P.K.: Disposition, metabolism and regional brain distribution of [3H] cocaine in acute and chronically-treated dogs, Xenobiotica (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- Montesinos, F.: Metabolism of cocaine, Bull. Narc. (U.N.) 17:1117 (1965).Google Scholar
- Nayak, P.K., Misra, A.L., Patel, M.N., and Mulé, S.J.: Preparation of radiochemically pure randomly-labeled and ring-labeled [3H] cocaine, Radiochem. Radioanal. Letters 16:167–171 (1974).Google Scholar
- Nayak, P.K., Misra, A.L., and Mulé, S.J.: Physiological disposition and biotransformation of [3H] cocaine in acute and chronically-treated rats, J. Pharmacol. exp. Ther. (in press, 1976).Google Scholar
- Ortiz, R.V.: Distribution and metabolism of cocaine in the rat, An. Fac. Quim. Farm. (U. of Chile) 18:15–19 (1966).Google Scholar