Functional Aspects of the Hippocampal-Septal Axis
In recent years several investigators have studied the effects of electrical stimulation of the hippocampus (7) or of the fiber pathways of the hippocampus (3,4,10) on single neuron activity in the septum. It has been shown that activation of the hippocampal efferents produces excitation as well as inhibition of long duration in septal cells. Our main concern has been with the electrophysiological consequences of the topographical organization of the hippocampal efferents.
KeywordsShort Latency Dorsal Hippocampus Unit Response Medial Septum Ventral Hippocampus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.DeFrance, J. P., Kitai, S. T. and Shimono, T.: Electrophysiological analysis of the hippocampal-septal projections: I. Response and topographical characteristics. Exp. Brain Res. 17: 447–462 (1973a).Google Scholar
- 4.DeFrance, J. F., Kitai, S. T. and Shimono, T. Electrophysi- ological analysis of the hippocampal-septal projections: II. Functional characteristics. Exp. Brain Res. 17: 463–476 (1973b).Google Scholar
- 6.Eccles, J. C. The Inhibitory Pathways of the Central Nervous System. Liverpool Univ. Press (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.Jasper, H. H. and Ajmone Marsan, C. A. Stereotaxic Atlas of the Diencephalon of the Cat. Nat. Res. Council Canada, Ottawa (1954).Google Scholar
- 9.Lomo, T. Patterns of activation in a monosynaptic cortical pathway: the perforant path input to the dentate area of the hippocampal formation. Exp. Brain Res. 12: 18–45 (1971).Google Scholar
- 10.McLennan, H. and Miller, J. J. The hippocampal control of neuronal discharges in the septum of the rat. J. Physiol. 237: 607–624 (1974).Google Scholar
- 11.Siegel, A. and Tassoni, J. P. Differential efferent projections of the lateral and medial septal nuclei to the hippo-campus in the cat. Brain Behay. Evol. 4: 201–219 (1971).Google Scholar