Social Factors Affecting the Development of Mounting Behavior in Male Rhesus Monkeys
In primates as well as in other mammalian species, the development of normal sexual behavior in the male depends upon adequate social experience (Nissen, 1954; Valenstein et al., 1955, Mason, 1960; Gerall, 1963; Harlow et al., 1966; Evans, 1967; Beach, 1968; Gruendel and Arnold, 1969; Davenport and Rogers, 1970; Riesen, 1971). In such nonprimate mammals as rats, guinea pigs, and dogs, the effects of early social deprivation on the later expression of sexual behavior seem to be less profound and less permanent than in primates (Kagan and Beach, 1953; Valenstein and Goy, 1957; Zimbardo, 1958; Beach, 1968). These effects are often transitory and can be eliminated with repeated opportunities for sexual and social experience at advanced ages. In male rhesus monkeys, by contrast, deprivation of early social experience has led to long-lasting and probably permanent inadequacies in sexual behavior (Senko, 1966; Missakian, 1969).
KeywordsSexual Behavior Social Experience Agonistic Behavior Maternal Separation Rear Condition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beach, F.A., 1968, Coital behavior in dogs: III. Effects of early isolation on mating in males, Behaviour 30:217–238.Google Scholar
- Davenport, R.K., and Rogers, C.M., 1970, Differential rearing of the chimpanzee: A project survey, The Chimpanzee 3:337–360.Google Scholar
- Goy, R.W., and Goldfoot, D.A., 1973, Experiential and hormonal factors influencing development of sexual behavior in the male rhesus monkey, in The Neurosciences: Third Study Program (F.O. Schmitt and F.G. Worden, eds.), vol. 3, Chapter 50, pp.571–581, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.Google Scholar
- Harlow, H.F., 1965, Sexual behavior in the rhesus monkey, in Sex and Behavior, (F.A. Beach, ed.) pp.234–265, John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Harlow, H.F., and Harlow, M.K., 1962, The effect of rearing conditions on behavior, Bull. Menninger Clinic 26:213–224.Google Scholar
- Harlow, H.F., and Harlow, M.K., 1966, Learning to love, Amer. Scientist 54:244–272.Google Scholar
- Hinde, R.A., 1966, Animal Behaviour, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Nissen, H.W., 1954, Development of sexual behavior in chimpanzees, in Genetic, Psychological and Hormonal Factors in the Establishment of Sexual Behavior in Mammals (unpub. sym. proc., Lawrence, Kan., 1954; copy in Univ. of Kan. Libraries, Lawrence).Google Scholar
- Riesen, A.H., 1971, Nissen’s observations on the development of sexual behavior in captive-born, nursery-reared chimpanzees, The Chimpanzee 4:1–18.Google Scholar
- Senko, M.G., 1966, The effects of early, intermediate, and late experiences upon adult macaque sexual behavior (unpub. M.S. thesis, Univ. of Wis., Madison).Google Scholar