Cyclic AMP and the Inhibition of Cerebellar Purkinje Cells by Noradrenergic Synapses
When considering the many important concepts implicit in the title of this Symposium, there are three major questions which quickly emerge. What is the nature of the chemical which can transmit information in cellular terms between nerve cells, how can these substances be identified as to site and mechanism of action, and how is the information coded within simple molecules such as synaptic transmitters? In our laboratory, we have gone to considerable lengths to establish the identification of nor-epinephrine (NE) as one of the inhibitory transmitters which function to inhibit cerebellar Purkinje cells. This system of chemical inhibition would appear to offer a unique insight into the conceptual problems underlying our present converence, and this paper will explore the extent to which this insight can presently be helpful.
KeywordsPurkinje Cell Adenylate Cyclase Locus Coeruleus Cerebellar Purkinje Cell Cerebellar Purkinje Neuron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bloom, F. E., 1973, Dynamic synaptic communications: finding the vocabulary, Brain Res., in press.Google Scholar
- Connor, J. D., 1970, Caudate nucleus neurones; correlation of the effects of substantia nigra stimulation with iontophoretic dopamine, Physiol. (Lond.) 208: 691.Google Scholar
- Greengard, P., Kebabian, J. W. and McAffee, D., 1973, Studies on the role of cyclic AMP in neural function, in “Pharmacology and the Future of Man,” (R. A. Maxwell and G. H. Acheson, eds.), vol. V, p. 207, S. Karger, Basel.Google Scholar
- Hoffer, B. J., Siggins, G. R., Oliver, A. P. and Bloom, F. E., 1973, Activation of the pathway from locus coeruleus to rat cerebellar Purkinje neurons: pharmacologic evidence of noradrenergic central inhibition, Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 184: 553.Google Scholar
- Hoffer, B. J. and Bloom, F. E., 1973, Effects of norepinephrine on central neurons, in “Actions on Neurotransmitters in the CNS,” (C. Hockman, ed.), Charles Thomas Co., in press.Google Scholar
- Johnson, E., Roberts, M. and Straughan, D., 1969, The responses of cortical neurons to monoamines under differing conditions, J. Physiol. (Lond.) 203: 261.Google Scholar
- Salmoiraghi, G. C., Bloom, F. E. and Costa, E., 1964, Adrenergic mechanisms in rabbit olfactory bulb, Amer. Physiol. 207: 1417.Google Scholar
- Segal, M. and Bloom, F. E., 1973, A projection of the nucleus locus coeruleus to the hippocampus of the rat, Abst., 3rd Ann. Meeting Soc. Neurosci., in press.Google Scholar