T-Cell-Mediated Cytolysis: An Overview of Some Current Issues
It is the purpose of this brief review to summarize some recent developments in our understanding of the mechanism of T-cell-mediated cytolysis. As is customary in this series, the account will be a rather personal one, and the “developments” to be discussed will center principally on observations made in this laboratory during the course of the last two years.
KeywordsTarget Cell Effector Cell Spleen Cell None None Cytolytic Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Binz, H., and Wigzell, H., 1975, Shared idiotypic determinants on B and T lymphocytes reactive against the same antigenic determinants. III. Physical fractionation of specific immunocompetent T lymphocytes by affinity chromatography using anti-idiotypic antibodies, J. Exp. Med. 152:1231.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brunner, K.T., and Cerottini, J.-C., 1971, Cytotoxic lymphocytes as effector cells of cell-mediated cytotoxicity, in: Progress in Immunology, p. 385 (B. Amos, ed.), Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Brunner, K.T., Mauel, J., Cerottini, J.-C., and Chapuis, B., Quantitative assay for the lytic action of immune lymphoid cells on 51Cr-labelled allogeneic target cells in vitro: Inhibition by isoantibody and by drugs, Immunology 14:181.Google Scholar
- Forman, J.C., and Kettman, J., 1976, Specificity of cytotoxic effector cells for hapten-modified targets, Fed. Proc. Fed. Amer. Soc. Exp. Biol. 35:474 (abstract).Google Scholar
- Henney, C.S., 1974b, Relationships between cytolytic activity of thymus derived lymphocytes and cellular cyclic nucleotide concentrations, in: Cyclic AMP, Cell Growth and the Immune Response pp. 195–209 (W. Braun, C.W. Parker, and L.M. Lichtenstein, eds.), Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Martz, E., 1976b, Functional adhesion and the calcium requirement in T lymphocyte-mediated killing, Fed. Proc. Fed. Amer. Soc. Exp. Biol. 35:248 (abstract).Google Scholar
- Rosenau, W., 1968, Target cell destruction, Fed. Proc. Fed. Amer. Soc. Exp. Biol. 27:34.Google Scholar
- Rubin, R.P., 1974, Calcium and the Secretory Process, Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Thorn, R.M., 1974, Thesis, University of Pennsylvania.Google Scholar
- Wilson, D.B., 1965, Quantitative studies on the behavior of sensitized lymphocytes in vitro. I. Relationship of the degree of destriction of homologous target cells to the number of lymphocytes and to the time of contact in culture and consideration of the effects of isoimmune serum, J. Exp. Med. 122:143.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar