Deformation Luminescence of Irradiated CsI (Tl) Crystals
The luminescence of plastically deformed irradiated CsI (Tl) crystals was studied. Samples of 2x8x5 mm were cleaved from the single crystal and were used without any pretreatment. Aluminium wrapped samples were irradiated using radium, 60Co, 137Cs as gamma sources and Pu-Be as a neutron source. All deformations were carried out in compression along the (100) dimension of the crystal sample by applying successive loads at rates of 0.01 to 0.001 Kg. cm−2 sec−1. Detection of the deformation induced luminescence was done using a DuMont 6292 photomultiplier coupled to a B.C. amplifier and luminescence intensities were measured in corresponding millivolts. Pulse rise and decay times of the glow luminescence were recorded using a fast oscilloscope. The absorption spectra of deformed and undeformed irradiated and unirradiated samples were studied using a Bausch amp; Lomb 500 monochromator.
KeywordsLuminescent Center Dark Compartment Unirradiated Sample Integral Dose Dose Rate Constant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.A. Weyl, J.H. Schulman, R.J. Ginther, L.W. Evans, J. Electrochem. Soc. 95 70 (1949).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Yokota, S. Nakajima, H. Osawa, Health Phys. 11 241 (1965).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Yokota, Y. Mutoh, K. Fukuda, Toshiba Rev. 52: (1970).Google Scholar
- 6.D.E. Jones, K. Petroek, D. Denham, TID-4500, UC-41 (1966) 33.Google Scholar
- 7.W.R. Hendee, Health Phys. 13 (1967).Google Scholar
- 8.F. Morgan Cox, The Harshaw Chemical Co. Review (1972).Google Scholar
- 9.A.S. Krugloff, I.A. Elshanshory, J. Phys. Soc. Japan 2X 2147 (1966).Google Scholar
- 11.I.A. Elshanshory, A.S. Krugloff, UAR J. Phys. 11 (1970).Google Scholar
- 12.H. Knoepfel, E. Loepfe, P. Stoll, Helv. Phys. Acta 30 521 (1957).Google Scholar
- 13.R.S. Lagu, B.V. Thosar, Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. 53A 219 (1961).Google Scholar
- 14.Z.L. Morgenstern, Opt. Spectrosc. 7 146 (1959).Google Scholar