Lubrication of a Porous Bearing—Stokes’ Solution
The problem of finding the pressure distribution and force resultants created by the rotation of an impermeable journal in a permeable bearing is of practical engineering importance. Many bearings of this type are used in the construction of machine elements. In this paper, we treat an idealized version of this problem with the aim of isolating the physical effects of the bearing flow.
KeywordsReynolds Equation Small Clearance Porous Boundary Internal Hole Stokes Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Taylor, G. I., and Miller, J C.,Fluid Flow Between Porous Rollers, Quarterly Journal of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, London, Vol. 9, pp. 129-135 , 1956.Google Scholar
- 3.Morgan, V. T., and Cameron, A.,Mechanism of Lubrication in Porous Metal Bearings, Proceedings, Conference on Lubrication and Wear, The Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London, 1957.Google Scholar
- 4.Cameron, A., Morgan, V., and Stainsby, A.,Critical Conditions for Hydrody namic Lubrication of Porous Metal Bearings,Proceedings, The Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London, Vol. 176, p. 761, 1962.Google Scholar
- 5.Shir, C. C., and Joseph, D. D.,Lubrication of a Porous Bearing -Reynolds ’ solution, Chapter 17 of this volume.Google Scholar
- 6.Wannier, G.,A Contribution to the Hydrodynamics of lubrication, Quarterly Journal of Applied Mathematics, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 1–32, 1950.Google Scholar
- 7.Gheorghitza, S. I.,La formule de Stokes pourlffis,enveloppesspheriquesporeuses, Arch. Rat. Mech. Analysis, Vol. 1, No. 12, pp. 52–57, 1962.Google Scholar
- 8.Joseph, D. D., and Tao, L. N.,The Effect of Permeability on the Slow Motion of a Porous Sphere in a Viscous Liquid,ZAMM, Vol. 44, p. 361, 1964.Google Scholar
- 9.Joseph, D. D., and Tao, L. N.,Ground Flow Induced by a moving cylinder, The Physics of Fluids, Vol. 8, No. 8, pp. 1438–1449, 1965.Google Scholar
- 11.Sommerfeld, A., Mechanics of Deformable Bodies, Academic Press, New York, 1950.Google Scholar