Behavior and Significance of Entrapped Baleen Whales
Every year a large number of baleen whales are entrapped in ice and in fishermen’s nets. Many escape on their own. Others die.
KeywordsMinke Whale Humpback Whale Gray Whale Baleen Whale Underwater Sound
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Asa-Dorian, P. V., and Perkins, P. J., 1967, The controversial production of sound by the California gray whale, Eschrichtius gibbosus, Nor. Hvalfangst-Tid. 56:74–77.Google Scholar
- Beamish, P., and Mitchell, E., 1971, Ultrasonic sounds recorded in the presence of a blue whale Balaenoptera musculus, Deep-Sea Res.18:803–809.Google Scholar
- Beamish, P., and Mitchell, E., 1973, Short pulse length audio frequency sounds recorded in the presence of a minke whale (Balaenoptera acutorostratd), Deep-Sea Res. 20:375–386.Google Scholar
- Evans, W. E., 1974, Telemetering of temperature and depth data from a free ranging yearling California gray whale, Eschrichtius robustus, Mar. Fish. Rev. 36(4):52–58.Google Scholar
- Fish, J. F., Sumich, J. L., and Lingle, G. L., 1974, Sounds produced by the gray whale, Eschrichtius robustus, Mar. Fish. Rev. 36(4):38–45.Google Scholar
- Norris, K. S., 1969, The echolocation of marine mammals, in: The Biology of Marine Mammals (S. Anderson, ed.), pp. 391–423, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Perkins, P. J., 1966, Communication sounds of finback whales, Nor. Hvalfangst-Tid. 55:199–200.Google Scholar
- Poulter, T. C., 1968, Marine mammals, in: Animal Communication, Techniques of Study and Results of Research (T. A. Sebeok, ed.), pp. 405–465, Indiana Univ. Press, Bloomington.Google Scholar
- Watkins, W. A., 1967, Air-borne sounds of the humpback whale, Megaptera novaeangliae, J. Mammal. 48(4):573–578.Google Scholar
- Wenz, G. M., 1964, Curious noises and the sonic environment in the ocean, in: Marine Bio-acoustics (W. N. Tavolga, ed.), pp. 101–123, Pergamon Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Winn, H. E., and Perkins, P. J., 1976, Distribution and sounds of the minke whale, with a review of mysticete sounds, Cetology 19:1–12.Google Scholar
- Winn, H. E., Perkins, P. J., and Poulter, T. C., 1971, Sounds of the humpback whale, Proc. 7th Ann. Conf. Bio. Sonar and Diving Mammals, pp. 39–52.Google Scholar
© Plenum Press, New York 1979