Preliminary Experimental Results on the Energy Difference Between the 2S1/2 and 2P3/2 Levels of the (μ4He)+ System
Since 1972 a pioneer experimental set-up was built, and successively used at CERN,1) in order to perform a precise measurement of the energy difference S1 between the 2S1/2 and 2P3/2 levels 2–4) of the helium muonic ion (μ4He)+. We report here on the present status of the experiment, giving preliminary results on S1.
KeywordsEnergy Difference Infrared Radiation Ruby Laser Helium Pressure Preliminary Experimental Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Bertin, G. Carboni, A. Placci, E. Zavattini, U. Gastaldi, G. Gorini, G. Neri, O. Pitzurra, E. Polaeoo, G. Torelli, G. Stefanini, A. Vitale, J. Duclos, and J. Picard, to be published on I1 Nuovo Cimento.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Campani, Lettere al Nuovo Cimento 4, 982 (1970). This author does not take into account the contribution due to the nuclear polarizability of the 4He nucleus.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Bernabeu and C. Jarlskog, CERN TH 1796 (1974), Nucl. Physics, Vol B 75, 59 (1974).Google Scholar
- 9.A. Bertin, G. Carboni, A. Placci, E. Zavattini, J. Duclos, J. Picard, U. Gastaldi, G. Gorini, G. Neri, O. Pitzurra, E. Polacco, G. Torelli, and A. Vitale, paper submitted to the present Conference (presented by G. Carboni). A. Bertin, G. Carboni, G. Gorini, O. Pitzurra, G. Torelli, A. Vitale, and E. Zavattini, to be published on Phys. Rev. Letters.Google Scholar
- 11.For the first set of measurements, a modified version of a Bradley ruby laser (model 351) was used; lately, an Apollo laser (supplied by Apollo Lasers Inc., Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.) was purchased. The wavelength of the radiation supplied by the ruby lasers is 6943 A.Google Scholar
- 14.J.J. Domingo, K. Gase, U. Gastaldi, E.G. Michaelis, G. Torelli and E. Zavattini, CERN/MSC/72/4 (1974), unpublished.Google Scholar
- 15.A. Placci, E. Polacco, E. Zavattini, K. Ziock, G. Carboni, U. Gastaldi, G. Gorini, G. Neri, and G. Torelli, I1 Nuovo Cimento 1 A, 445 (1971).Google Scholar
- M.M. Blok et al., Nuovo Cimento 25, 501 (1968).Google Scholar