Three Quasi-CW Approaches to Short Wavelength Lasers
Three approaches towards achieving extended-period quasi-cw amplification by stimulated emission in the vacuum-UV and x-ray spectral regions are discussed, in a somewhat logical progression towards shorter wavelengths, increased complexity, and demands. Extrapolation of visible and near-UV tuned-cavity cw lasers using higher density plasma media is first discussed for the near-to-mid VUV region. Further extension to the soft x-ray region is described, using preferential resonance charge transfer pumping. This and related intense incoherent x-ray source development could ultimately lead to successful quasi-cw Kα inversions, as is discussed. Experiments underway to test the first two schemes are described.
KeywordsPump Power Population Inversion Collisional Excitation Isoelectronic Sequence Vacancy State
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. C. Elton, R. W. Waynant, R. A. Andrews and M. H. Reilly, “X-Ray and Vacuum-UV Lasers, Current Status and Prognosis” NRL Report 7412, May 1972.Google Scholar
- 2.R. C. Elton, “Quasistationary Inversion on K-a Innershell Transitions”, NRL Memorandum Report 2906, October 1974; submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 5.C. K. Rhodes, IEEE J. Quant. Elect. QE-10, 153 (1974), Table of UV-Laser Transitions p. 170.Google Scholar
- 6.R. C. Elton, “Extension of 3p-’-3s Ion Lasers into the Vacuum-UV Region”, NRL Memorandum Report 2799, May 1974; also Appl. Optics, 14, 97, 1975.Google Scholar
- 7.K. G. Whitney and J. Davis, J. Appl. Phys. 45, 5294 (1974); also K. Whitney, J. Davis and E. Oran, NRL Memorandum Report 2644, June 1973.Google Scholar
- 8.R. C. Elton, T. N. Lee, J. Davis, J. F. Reintjes, R. H. Dixon, R. C. Eckardt, K. Whitney, J. L. DeRosa, L. J. Palumbo and R. A. Andrews, Physica Fennica 9, Suppl. Sl (1974).Google Scholar
- 9.Staff Report: ARPA/NRL X-Ray Laser Program, NRL Memorandum Report 2910, October 1974.Google Scholar
- 10.A. V. Vinogradov and I. I. Sobel’man, Sov, Phys. JETP, 36, 115 (1973).Google Scholar
- 11.R. C. Elton, “Atomic Processes”, (in) Methods of of Experimental Physics-Plasma Physics, Vol. 9A, eds. H. R. Griem and R. H. Lovberg, ( Academic Press, New York, 1970 ).Google Scholar