Electrophysiological Studies of Normal and Neoplastic Cells in Tissue Culture
A number of tissue culture preparations have been extensively studied electrophysiologically, and this chapter will seek to summarize some of the observations which have been made on a number of continuous cell lines and on long-term cultures of normal, dissociated nerve and muscle cells. No attempt will be made to cover the valuable studies of nerve and muscle explants which have appeared over the past several years (Corner and Crain, 1972; Crain et al., 1970; Peterson and Crain, 1970).
KeywordsDorsal Root Ganglion Current Pulse Neoplastic Cell Neuroblastoma Cell Electrical Coupling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fischbach, G., and Cohen, S. A. The distribution of acetylcholine sensitivity over uninnervated and innervated muscle fibers grown in cell culture. Develop. Biol. 31:147–162.Google Scholar
- Fischbach, G. D., and Dichter, M. The action potential of chick dorsal root ganglion neurons in cell culture. (In preparation).Google Scholar
- Furshpan, E. J., and Potter, D. D. 1968. Low resistance junctions between cells in embryo and tissue culture, pp. 95–127. In A. A. Moscona and A. Monray (eds.). Current Topics in Developmental Biology, Vol. 3. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Hirakow, R., and DeHaan, R. L. 1970. Synchronization and the formation of nexal junction between isolated chick embryonic heart myocytes beating in culture. J. Cell Biol. 47:88a.Google Scholar
- Klebe, R. J., and Ruddle, F. H. 1969. Neuroblastoma: Cell culture analysis of a differentiating stem cell system. J. Cell Biol. 43:69a.Google Scholar
- Lamb, J. F., and MacKinnon, M. G. A. 1971. Effect of ouabain and metabolic inhibitors of the Na and K movements and nucleotide contents of L-cells. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 213:665–682.Google Scholar
- Peacock, J., and Nelson, P. G. 1973b. Chemosensitivity of neuroblastoma cells. J. Neurobiol. (in press).Google Scholar
- Peacock, J., and Nelson, P. G. 1973c. Electrical activity in dissociated cell cultures from fetal mouse cerebellum. Brain Res. (in press).Google Scholar
- Peacock, J., McMorris, F. A., and Nelson, P. G. 1973. Electrical excitability and chemosensitivity of mouse neuroblastoma × mouse or human fibroblast hybrids. Exptl. Cell Res. (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- Ruddle, F. H. 1972. Linkage analysis using somatic cell hybrids. Advan. Hum. Gent. 3: 173–235.Google Scholar
- Subak-Sharp, J. H., Burk, R. R., and Pitts, J. D. 1969. Metabolic cooperation between biochemically marked mammalian cells in tissue culture. J. Cell Sci. 4:353–367.Google Scholar
- Yaffe, D. 1969. Cellular aspects of muscle differentiation in vitro. Curr. Topics Develop. Biol. 4:31–77.Google Scholar