Hormone Patterns in Early Human Gestation
Accurate measurement of the low concentration of gonadotropins and steroid hormones present in human serum has been made possible by the development of sensitive radioimmunoassay (RIA) techniques; With the use of RIA FSH and LH, progesterone and 170H-progesterone have been previously measured in early normal pregnancy (Jaffe et al., 1969; Parlow et al., 1970; Wide, 1969). In order to determine the daily pattern of hormone levels in early normal pregnancy, gonadotropins as well as steroid hormone levels were measured in serum samples obtained daily from three women from the time of the last menstrual period prior to conception throughout the first few months of gestation.
KeywordsEarly Pregnancy Corpus Luteum Normal Pregnancy Progesterone Level Early Gestation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, J. B. (1956), Urinary excretion of estrogens during pregnancy, lactation and there establishment of menstruation, Lancet 1:104.Google Scholar
- Fotherby, K. (1971), Hormone production during early human pregnancy, Bibl. Reprod. 17:589.Google Scholar
- Froewis, J. (1963), Wann erfolgt die ausreichende Umschaltung der schwangerschaftserhalt enden Hormonproduktion des Corpus Luteum Graviditateis auf die Plazenta? Ein klinischer Beitrag, Wien, Klin. Wschr. 75:368.Google Scholar
- Holmdahl, T. H., and Johansson, E. D. B. (1972), Peripheral plasma levels of 17a-hydroxy progesterone during human pregnancy, Acta Endocrinol. 71:165.Google Scholar
- Mishell, D. R., Jr., Thorneycroft, I. H., Nagata, Y., and Nakamura, R. M. (1974a), in: Gonadotrophin Therapy in Female Infertility (E. Rosemberg, ed.), Excerpta Medica Foundation, in press.Google Scholar
- Short, R. V.: in: Foetal Autonomy (G. E. W. Wolstenholme and M. O’Connor, eds.), Churchill, London.Google Scholar
- Tulsky, A. S., and Koff, A. K. (1957), Some observations on the role of the corpus luteum in early human pregnancy, Fer til. Steril. 8:118.Google Scholar