The Duration of Egg Transport and Its Regulation in Mammals
The literature dealing with egg transport has grown considerably during the last decade and excellent recent reviews are available (Blandau, 1969; Pauerstein et al., 1974). Rather than cover the subject extensively, an attempt will be made here to discuss a single aspect of egg transport in mammals: its duration.
KeywordsUterine Cavity Ethinyl Estradiol Endometrial Cavity Luteinizing Hormone Concentration Tubal Ovum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andersen, D. (1927), The rate of passage of the mammalian ovum through various portions of the fallopian tube, Am. J. Physiol.82:551.Google Scholar
- Blandau, R. J. (1969), Gamete transport—Comparative aspects, in: The Mammalian Oviduct (E. S. E. Hafez and R. J. Blandau, eds.), University of Chicago Press, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Croxatto, H. B., Diaz, S., Fuentealba, B., Croxatto, H. D., Carrillo, D., and Fabres, C. (1972a), Studies on the duration of egg transport in the human oviduct. I. The time interval between ovulation and egg recovery from the uterus in normal women, Fertil. Steril.23:441.Google Scholar
- Hertig, A. T., Rock, J., Adams, E. C, and Mulligan, W. J. (1954), On the preimplantation stages of the human ovum: A description of 4 normal and 4 abnormal specimens ranging from the second to the fifth day of development, Contrib. Embrol.55:199.Google Scholar
- Oxenreider, S. L., and Day, B. N. (1965), Transport and cleavage of ova in swine, J. Anim. Sei.24:413.Google Scholar
- Pauerstein, C. J., Hodgson, B. J., and Kramen, M. A. (1974), The anatomy and physiology of the oviduct, in: Obstetrics and Gynecology Annual (R. Wynn, ed.), Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York.Google Scholar
- Perry, J. S., and Rowlands, I. W. (1962), Early pregnancy in the pig, J. Reprod. Fertil.4:115.Google Scholar
- Pomeroy, R. W. (1955), Ovulation and the passage of the ova through the fallopian tubes in the pig, J. Agr. Sei.45:321.Google Scholar
- Short, R. V. (1973), personal communication.Google Scholar
- Van Niekerk, C. H., and Gerneke, W. H. (1966), Persistence and parthenogenetic cleavage of tubal ova in the mare, Onderstepoort J. Vet. Res.31:195.Google Scholar
- Yanagimachi, R., and Sato, A. (1968), Effects of a single oral administration of ethinyl estradiol on early pregnancy in the mouse, Fertil. Steril.79:787.Google Scholar