Natural and Induced Genetic Variability in Wheat
An account is given of the genetic variability in primitive wheats collected from the northwest Pakistan. Apart from genetic sources for disease resistance, drought tolerance, and other plant characters, new sources of possible height reduction in wheat were identified and described. The taller-growing primitive wheats have better emergence, perhaps largely because of their longer coleoptiles. A detailed account is given of comparative genetic studies of height-reducing genes, through both conventional genetic analysis techniques and induced mutation breeding procedures. Both approaches demonstrated the effect of height genes on grain size. At the present time there is a linear relationship between plant height and 1000-kernel weight. Possibilities of achieving a breakthrough in wheat yields through increased kernel size in short wheats are discussed.
KeywordsPlant Height Height Reduction Coleoptile Length Common Genetic Background Dwarf Wheat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allan, R. E. (1970). Differentiating between two Norin 10-Brevor 14 semidwarf genes in a common genetic background. Seikhen ziho. ( Report of the Nihara Institute for Biological Research. ) 22: 83–90.Google Scholar
- Allan, R. E. and O. A. Vogel. (1968). A method for predicting semidwarf genotypes in Triticum aestivum L. Agronomy Abst. 2.Google Scholar
- Briggle, L. W. and O. A. Vogel. (1968). Breeding short stature, disease resistant wheats in United States. Euphytics, Suppl. 1, pp. 107–130.Google Scholar
- Chaudhry, A. S. (1971). Induced semidwarf mutants in Triticum aestivum L. Pak. J. Agri. Sci. 8: 82–89.Google Scholar
- Favereau, G., P. Parodi, A. San Juan, and R. Avendano. (1968). Diferencias varieties en la emergencia de plantulas de trigo de primavera determindas por longitud de coleoptilo, temperatura y profundidad de slembra. Agri. Tech. (Chile) 28: 103–110.Google Scholar
- Konzak, C. F. (1973). Using mutagens and mutations. in wheat breeding and genetics research. Proc. 4th Int. Wheat Genet. Symp. Missouri, pp. 275–281.Google Scholar
- Law, C. N. and A. J. Worland. (1973). Chromosome substitutions and their use in the analysis and prediction of wheat varietal performance. Proc. 4th Int. Wheat Genet. Symp., Missouri, pp. 41–49.Google Scholar
- Livers, R. W. (1958). Coleoptile growth in relation to wheat seed emergence. Agron. Abst. 56.Google Scholar