Heritability Estimates from Four Generations of a Diallel Cross of Common Wheat
The heritabilities of 10 quantitative characters were studies in F1, F2, backcross, and selfed backcross generations of a five-parent diallel cross of common wheat grown at two locations. From this study it was found that (a) most of the characters in question were highly heritable, (b) the heritabilities estimated by regression and variance component methods were more or less the same (r = 0.84** to 0.95**), and (c) the heritability of some characters was affected by location or by generation; in one case only (1000-kernel weight) was the heritability of the character affected by both.
KeywordsPlant Height Common Wheat Heritability Estimate Quantitative Character Diallel Cross
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fonseca, S. M. and Patterson, F. L. (1968). Hybrid vigour in a seven-parent diallel cross of common winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) Crop Sci. 8: 85–88.Google Scholar
- Khadr, F. H. and Morsy, M. S. (1973). Additive and dominance variation, heritability and correlation of quantitative characters in wheat. Egypt J. Genet. Cytol. 2: 20–30.Google Scholar
- Khadr, F. H., Ali, M. A., and Morsy, M. S. (1972). Heritabilities of quantitative traits estimated by different methods in generations of wheat crosses. Egypt J. Genet. Cytol. 1: 262–269.Google Scholar
- Liang, G. H. L., Walter, T. L., Mickell, C. D., and Koh, V. 0. (1969). Heritability estimates and inter-relationship among agronomic traits in grain sorghum, Sorghum bicolor L. Moench. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 11: 199–208.Google Scholar
- Mather, K. and Jinks, J. L. (1971). Biometrical Genetics, 2nd ed., 382 pp. Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar
- Paroda, R. S. and Joshi, A. B. (1970a). Genetic architecture of yield and components of yield in wheat. Ind. J. Genet. Plant Breed. 30: 298–314.Google Scholar
- Paroda, R. S. and Joshi, A. B. (1970b). Combining ability in wheat. Ind. J. Genet. Plant Breed. 30: 630–637.Google Scholar
- Soomro, B. A. (1974). A biometrical-genetic analysis of some quantitative characters in a five-parent diallel cross of common wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton.Google Scholar
- Soomro, B. A. (1975). Diallel analysis of heading data and plant height in wheat. Pak. J. Bot. 7: 91–117.Google Scholar
- Weibel, D. E. (1956). Inheritance of quantitative characters in wheat. Iowa State Coll. J. Sci. 30: 450–451.Google Scholar