Polyethylene-Nylon 6 Graft Copolymers I. Mechanical Properties and Permeability Characteristics of Copolymers Prepared by Anionic and and Cationic Initiated Processes
A graft copolymer of polyethylene and nylon 6 combines two materials each of which possesses good properties. As is well known, polyethylene is a tough flexible polymer which is insensitive to moisture. Oxygen permeability is intermediate and its crystalline melting point (Tm) is relatively low. Nylon 6, on the other hand, has very low oxygen permeability (dry) coupled with a high Tm of 218°C. However, nylon 6 displays strong sensitivity to moisture. Therefore its utility is significantly impaired under conditions of high humidity.
KeywordsGraft Copolymer Ring Opening Polymerization Anionic Polymerization Ethyl Acrylate Acid Copolymer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1..H. B. Hopfenberg and V. Stannett, Chapter 9, in “The Physics of Glassy Polymers”, Edited by R. N. Hayward, Wiley (1973).Google Scholar
- 2.N. L. Zutty, J. A. Faucher and S. Bonotto, Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Technology, 6, 387 (1967).Google Scholar
- 4.L. M. Robeson, A. Noshay, M. Matzner and C. N. Merriam, Die Angew, Makromol. Chemie,29/30,47 (1973).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Matzner, A. Noshay and J. E. McGrath, Polymer Preprints, 14, No. 1, 68 (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.J. E. McGrath, L. M. Robeson and M. Matzner, Polymer Preprints, 14, No. 2, 1032 (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.L. M. Robeson, M. Matzner, L. J. Fetters and J. E. McGrath, Polymer Preprints, 14, No. 2, 1063 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.D. J. Meier, J. Polym. Sci., Part C, No. 26, 81 (1969).Google Scholar
- 9.M. J. Folkes and A. Keller, Chapter 10 in “The Physics of Glassy Polymers”, Edited by R. N. Hayward, Wiley, (1973).Google Scholar
- 12.H. K. Reimschuessel, “Lactams”, Chapter 7 in “Ring Opening Polymerizations”, Edited by K. C. Frisch and S. L. Reigen, Marcel Dekker, New York (1969).Google Scholar
- 17.M. Matzner, A. Noshay, D. L. Schober and J. E. McGrath, Ind. Chim. Belg. 38, 1104 (1973).Google Scholar