Behavioral Toxicologic Studies of Dieldrin, DDT, and Ruelene in Sheep
Behavioral toxicology is a new field with a relatively small group of full-time dedicated workers. Because only a small number of laboratories provide data on the behavioral effects of toxicants, there is a real problem of general acceptance by the more traditional areas of toxicology. At present this is compounded by a deficiency of clearly defined examples of where behavioral toxicological data has demonstrated adverse health effects at exposure levels lower than those required to cause other types of Physiopathologie alterations.
KeywordsConditioned Stimulus Visual Discrimination Extinction Trial Convulsive Seizure Goal Object
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carson, T. L., G. A. Van Gelder, W. B. Buck, and G. G. Karas, 1974a. Development of behavioral tests for the assessment of neurological effects of lead in sheep. Environmental Health Perspectives, Exp. Issue 7. (May): 233–237.Google Scholar
- Carson, T. L., G. A. Van Gelder, G. G. Karas, and W. B. Buck, 1974b. Slowed learning in lambs prenatally exposed to lead. Archives of Environmental Health 29:154–156.Google Scholar
- Jager, K. W. 1970. Aldrin, Dieldrin, Endrin, and Telodrin. New York, Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Koehler, W. 1925. The Mentality of Apes. New York, Harcourt, Brace.Google Scholar
- Sandler, B. E., G. A. Van Gelder, D. D. Elsberry, G. G. Karas, and W. B. Buck. 1969. Dieldrin exposure and vigilance behavior in sheep. Psychonomic Science, 15:261–262.Google Scholar
- Tolman, E. C. 1932. Purposive Behavior in Animals and Man. New York, Century.Google Scholar
- Van Gelder, G. A., B. E. Sandler, B. Buck, J. B. Maland, and G. G. Karas. 1969b. Behavioral and electrophysiological effects of dieldrin in sheep. Industrial Medicine, 38:64–67.Google Scholar
- Van Gelder, G. A., W. B. Buck, R. Sandler, J. Maland, G. Karas, and D. Elsberry. 1970. The effects of dieldrin and Ruelene exposure on experimental behavior and the electroencephalogram. In: The Biological Impact of Pesticides in the Environment, Environmental Health Sciences, Series No. 1, pp. 125–133. Corvallis, Oregon, Oregon State University Press.Google Scholar
- Van Gelder, G. A., R. M. Smith, and W. B. Buck. 1972. Behavioral toxicology: do toxicants alter behavior? Iowa State University Veterinarian, 34:17–22.Google Scholar
- Van Gelder, G. A., T. L. Carson, R. M. Smith, W. B. Buck, and G. G. Karas, 1973b. Neurophysiologic and behavioral toxicologic testing to detect subclinical neurologic alterations induced by environmental toxicants. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 163:1033–1035.Google Scholar