Behaviorial, Biochemical, and Morphological Effects of Methamphetamine in the Rhesus Monkey
This chapter is a review of our investigations of the toxicity associated with chronic methamphetamine administration in the rhesus monkey. Before proceeding, however, we would like to place these investigations within the larger context of our interests.
KeywordsRhesus Monkey Lever Press Drug Infusion Tolerance Development Jugular Catheter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ellinwood, E. H. 1969. Amphetamine psychosis: A multidimensional process.Seminars in Psychiatry, 1:208–226.Google Scholar
- Fischman, M. W. 1972. Behavioral effects of methamphetamine in the rhesus monkey. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, U. of Chicago.Google Scholar
- Fitz-Gerald, F. 1967. Effects of J-amphetamine upon behavior of young chimpanzees reared under different conditions. In: Brill, H. and J. Cole, eds., Neuropsychopharmacology, Vol. 5. Amsterdam, Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Kasirsky, G., I. H. Zaidi, and M. F. Tansy. 1972. LD50 and pathologic effects of acute and chronic administration of methamphetamine HCl in rabbits. Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology, 3:215–231.Google Scholar
- McMillan, D. E. 1968. The effects of sympathomimetic amines on schedule-controlled behavior in the pigeon. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 159:315–325.Google Scholar
- Pickens, R. and W. Harris. 1968. Self-administration of (i-amphetamine by rats. Psychopharmacologia (Berlin), 12: 158–163.Google Scholar
- Renault, P. F. and C. R. Schuster. 1972. On the treatment of stimulant abuse. Perspectives in Biology and Medicine, 15:561–565.Google Scholar
- Rumbaugh, C. L., R. T. Bergeron, R. L. Scanlan, J. S. Teal, H. D. Segall, H. C. H. Fang, and R. McCormick. 1971. Cerebral vascular changes secondary to amphetamine abuse in the experimental animal.Radiology, 101:345–351.Google Scholar
- Schuster, C. R. 1968. Variables affecting the self-administration of drugs by rhesus monkeys. In: Vagtborg, H., ed.. Use of Nonhuman Primates in Drug Evaluation, Austin, University of Texas Press.Google Scholar