Prostaglandin E(1) and E(2): Qualitative Difference in Platelet Aggregation
Blood platelets exhibit a number of characteristic reactions, i.e. aggregation, adhesion, clot retraction, shape change, etc. Since these reactions are greatly modified by drugs, and since platelets are obtained relatively easily as a single cell preparation, platelets are now considered as a good model system of pharmacological analysis (Shio and Ramwell, 1972a). The aggregation of the cells can be analyzed by means of optical density (OD) change of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) (Born, 1962), and shape change, e.g. by adenosine diphosphate (ADP), is also quantitatively determined with OD recording (Born 1970, Shio et al, 1970).
KeywordsPlatelet Aggregation Platelet Rich Plasma Human Platelet Adenylate Cyclase Stimulation Aspirin Ingestion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hendricks, C. H., Breuner, W. E., Ekbadh, L., Brotanek, V., and Fishburne, J. I., 1971, Am. J. Obst. Gynec. 111:564.Google Scholar
- Kloeze, J., 1967, in “Prostaglandins” (S. Bergstrom and B. Samuelsson, eds.), Almqvist and Wiksell, Stockholm, p. 241.Google Scholar
- Markwardt, F., 1967, in Biochemistry of Blood Platelets (E. Kowalski and S. Niewiarowski, eds. Academic Press, New York, p. 105.Google Scholar
- Mustard, J. F., and Packham, M. A., 1971, in “Inflammation, Immunity and Hypersensitivity” (H. Z. Movat, ed.), Harper and Row, New York, p. 527.Google Scholar
- Renaud, S., Kuba, K., Goulet, C., Lemire, Y., and Allard, C., 1870, Circ Res. 26:553.Google Scholar
- Sekhar, N. C., Weeks, J. R., and Kupiecki, F. P., 1968, Circulation 38: (Suppl. 4):23.Google Scholar
- Sekhar, N. C., 1971, Thromb. Diath. Haemorrh. Suppl. 42:305.Google Scholar
- Shio, H., and Ramwell, P. W., 1972a, in “Symposium on Chemistry and Pharmacology of Prostaglandins” (N. Kharasch, ed.) Intra-Science Research Foundation, Santa Monica, in press.Google Scholar
- Shio, H., and Ramwell, P. W., 1972b, Nature, in press.Google Scholar
- Shio, H., and Ramwell, P. W., 1972c, Science, in press.Google Scholar
- Shio, H., Ramwell, P. W., and Jessup, S. J., 1972, Prostaglandins, in press.Google Scholar
- Smith, J. B., and Willis, A. L., 1970, Brit. J. Pharmacol. 40:545.Google Scholar