Cellular Aspects of Prostaglandin Synthesis and Testicular Function
It is somewhat surprising that testicular prostaglandin synthesis and the relationship of prostaglandins to testicular function have been neglected for so long though evidence for the existence of this class of hormones was first associated with human seminal fluid (Kurzrok and Lieb, 1930). Investigations in our laboratory on prostaglandin synthesis and their actions on the testis were initiated after preliminary studies showed that lipid peroxidation had a direct relationship to androgen synthesis (Ellis and Baptista, 1969) and possibly served some endocrine function in the testis. Reports by other workers (Samuelsson et al, 1966; Euler and Eliasson, 1967) that lipid peroxidation was involved in prostaglandin synthesis in other organs, added impetus to our studies.
KeywordsProstaglandin Synthesis Increase Lipid Peroxidation Testicular Function Prostaglandin Synthetase Androgen Synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carpenter, M. P., and Wiseman, B., 1970, Prostaglandins of rat testes. Fed. Proc. 29:248.Google Scholar
- Ellis, L. C., Inhibition of rat testicular androgen synthesis in vitro by melatonin and serotonin, Endocrinology, 89: 193.Google Scholar
- Ellis, L. D., 1970, Radiation effects, in “The Testis”, (A. D. Johnson, W. R. Gomes, and N. L. Vandemark, eds.), Vol. III, Academic Press, New York, pp. 333–376.Google Scholar
- Ellis, L. C., and Baptista, M. H., 1969, A proposed mechanism for the differential sensitivity of the immature rat testis, in “Radiation Biology of the Fetal and Juvenile Mammal” (M. R. Sikov and D. D. Mahlum, eds.), Proc. Ninth Annual Hanford Biology Symposium, Richland, Washington, May 5–8, 1969, pp. 963–974, U. S. Atomic Energy Commission, Division of Technical Information.Google Scholar
- Euler, U. S., and Eliasson, R., 1967, “Prostaglandins”, pp. 1–159, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Garattini, S., and Valzelli, L., 1965, in “Serotonin”, pp. 148–168, Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Hargrove, J. L., Johnson, J. M., and Ellis, L. C., 1971, Prostaglandin E (1) induced inhibition of rabbit testicular contractions in vitro, Proc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 136:958.Google Scholar
- Johnson, J. M., Hargrove, J. L., and Ellis, L. C., 1971, Prostaglandin F(1-alpha) induced stimulation of rabbit testicular contractions in vitro, Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 138:378.Google Scholar
- Kurzrok, R., and Lieb, C. C., 1930, Biochemical studies of human semen II. The action of semen on the human uterus. Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 28:268.Google Scholar
- Samuelsson, B., Granström, E., and Hamberg, M., 1966, in “Prostaglandins” (S. Bergstrom and B. Samuelsson, eds.), pp. 31–44, Proc. Second Nobel Symposium, Stockholm, Interscience Publ., New York.Google Scholar
- Savkovic, N., 1964, Effect of chemical protective agents (cysteamine and beta-amino-ethylisothiuranium (AET) cl HCl) and homologous testes-DNA on the death rate of the progeny of a first generation originating from male rats irradiated in the infantile period, Nature 203:1393.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Van Dorp, D. A., 1967, Aspects of the biosynthesis of prostaglandins, Progr. Biochem. Pharmacol. 3:71.Google Scholar