Use of Prostaglandins in the Preparation of Blood Components
With recent increased understanding of the cellular physiology of red cells and platelets, and with development of large scale methods for plasma fractionation, the concept of component therapy in clinical medicine has evolved. This approach involves separation and individual storage of cellular and plasma components. In order to separate whole blood into its components shortly after collection centrifugation is necessary to prepare red cell concentrates, platelet concentrates, and platelet-poor plasma (PPP); separation can be achieved by either serial or continuous centrifugation (Graw et al, 1971; Jones, 1968; Tullis et al, 1967 and 1968).
KeywordsToxicity Chromium DMSO Creatinine Sodium Chloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Handin, R. I., and Valeri, C. R., 1971a, Improved viability of frozen platelets (Abstract), AABB 24th Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois (September 12–16), p. 91.Google Scholar
- Hays, W. L., 1963, Statistics for Psychologists, pp. 333–335, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.Google Scholar
- Hilpert, P., Fleischmann, R. G., Kempe, D., and Bartels, H., 1963, The Bohr effect related to blood and erythrocyte pH, Am. J. Physiol. 205:337.Google Scholar
- Kloeze, J., 1967, Influence of prostaglandins on platelet adhesiveness and platelet aggregation, Nobel Symposium 2, Stockholm, June 1966, Prostaglandins. Eds. S. Bergstrom and B. Samuelsson, p. 241, Almquist and Wiksell, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- Rorth, M., and Nygaard, S. F., 1971, Phosphate metabolism of the red cell during exposure to high altitude, in Alfred Benzon Symposium IV. Oxygen Affinity of Hemoglobin and Red Cell Acid-Base Status. Munksgaard, Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- Shio, H., Plasse, A. M., and Ramwell, P. W., 1970, Platelet swelling and prostaglandins, Microvasc. Res. 2:294.Google Scholar
- Strumia, M. M., Colwell, L. S., and Dugan, A., 1958, The measure of erythropoiesis in anemias. I. The mixing time and the immediate posttransfusion disappearance of T-18 24 dye and of 5lCr tagged erythrocytes in relation to blood volume determination, Blood 13:145.Google Scholar
- Teitel, P., 1967, Le test de la filtrabilite erythrocytaire (TFE) une methode simple d’etude de certaines proprietes microrheologigue des globules rouges, Nouv. Rev. Fr. Hematol. 7:195.Google Scholar
- Valeri, C. R., and Fortier, N. L., 1969, Red-cell-mass deficits and erythrocyte 2,3 DPG levels, Forsvarsmedicin 5:212.Google Scholar
- Valeri, C. R., Szymanski, I. O., and Pivacek, L. E., (in press) a, Effects of the host on transfused preserved red blood cells, J. Med.Google Scholar
- Valeri, C. R., Szymanski, I. O., and Zaroulis, C. G., (in press) b, 24-Hour survival of ACD and CPD stored red cells. I. Evaluation of nonwashed and washed stored red cells, Vox Sang.Google Scholar