Pro-Inflammatory Effects of Certain Prostaglandins
Several groups of workers have suggested that certain prostaglandins, especially PGE(1), elicit vascular permeability responses following their local inoculation into the skin of man and experimental animals (Willis, 1969; Arora et al, 1970; Giroud and Willoughby, 1970; Kaley and Weiner, 1971; Crunkhorn and Willis, 1971; Sondergard and Greaves, 1971). Prostaglandins of various types have been isolated from inflammatory lesions of both species (Willis, 1969; Greaves et al, 1971). In consequence, certain prostaglandins are listed among the numerous other chemical mediators of the inflammatory process. Prostaglandins are released by almost all kinds of disturbing influences on the microenvironment of cells (Piper and Vane, 1971). Moreover, it has been shown that the synthesis and release of certain prostaglandins is inhibited by aspirin and indomethacin in the isolated spleen, sensitized lungs and isolated platelets (Smith and Willis, 1971; Vane, 1971; Ferriera et al, 1971).
KeywordsSerum Concentration Acute Inflammation Granulomatous Reaction Flufenamic Acid Male Hamster
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arora, S., Lahiri, P. K., and Sanyal, R. K., 1970, Int. Arch. Allergy 39:186.Google Scholar
- Glenn, E. M., Bowman, B. J., Lyster, S. C, and Rohloff, N. A., 1971, Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med. 137:Google Scholar
- Glenn, E. M., Miller, W. L., and Schlagel, C. A., 1963, in “Recent Progress in Hormone Research” (Gregory Pincus, ed.), p. 107.Google Scholar
- Greaves, M. W., Sondergard, J., and McDonald-Gibson, W., 1971, Brit. Med. J., 2:258.Google Scholar
- Juby, P. F., and Hudyma, T. W., 1970, in “Annual Reports in Medicinal Chemistry” (Cornelius K. Cain, ed). p. 182, Academic Press, N. Y.Google Scholar
- Kaley, F., and Weiner, R., 1971, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 180:338.Google Scholar
- Kirton, K. L., and Cornette, 1971, (in preparation). Piper, P., and Vane, J., 1971, Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 180:363.Google Scholar
- Seeman, Phillip, 1970, in “Permeability and Function of Biological Membranes” (Bolis, L., and Katchalsky, A., eds), p. 40, North Holland Publishing Co.Google Scholar
- Willis, A. L., 1969, in “Prostaglandins Peptides and Amines” (P. Mantegazza and E. W. Horton, Eds.), p. 31, Academic Press, N. Y.Google Scholar