The peripheral blood leukocyte population represents both morphologically and functionally a heterogeneous group of cells. Only in recent years has an attempt been made to find a possible relationship between the lipid composition and metabolism of the different cell types and the various specialized functions of each subgroup.
KeywordsAlveolar Macrophage Peripheral Blood Leukocyte Bacillus Calmette Guerin Phospholipid Metabolism Cholesterol Esterase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Day, A. J., and Fidge, N. H. 1962. The uptake and metabolism of 14C-labeled fatty acids by macrophages in vitro. J. Lipid Res. 3:333–338.Google Scholar
- Elsbach, P. 1974. Phagocytosis, pp. 363–408. In B. W. Zweifach, L. Grant, and R. T. McCluskey (eds). The Inflammatory Process. Vol. I. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Fischer, D. B., and Mueller, G. C. 1969. The stepwise acceleration of phosphatidylcholine synthesis in phytohemagglutinin-treated lymphocytes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 176:316–323.Google Scholar
- Fischer, D. B., and Mueller, G. C. 1971. Studies on the mechanism by which phytohemagglutinin stimulates phospholipid metabolism of human lymphocytes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 248:434–448.Google Scholar
- Fredrickson, D. S., and Sloan, H. R. 1972. Sphingomyelin Lipidoses: Nieman-Pick disease, pp. 783–807. In J. B. Stanbury, J. B. Wyngaarden, and D. S. Frederickson (eds.). The Metabolic Basis of Inherited Disease. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.Google Scholar
- Gottfried, E. L. 1972. Lipid composition and metabolism of leukocytes, pp. 387–415. In G. J. Nelson (ed.). Blood Lipids and Lipoproteins: Quantitation, Composition and Metabolism. Wiley-Interscience Publishers, New York.Google Scholar
- Kennedy, E. P. 1962. The metabolism and function of complex lipids. Harvey Lect. 57:143–171.Google Scholar
- Steinman, R. M., and Cohn, Z. A. 1974. The metabolism and physiology of the mononuclear phagocytes, pp. 450–510. In B.W. Zweifach, L. Grant, and R. T. McCluskey (eds.). The Inflammatory Process. Vol. I, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Wintrobe, M. M. 1974. Clinical Hematology. Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia. 1896 pp.Google Scholar