A Review of the Experimental Properties of Insulating Solids
In this review, the author attempts to generate a brief compilation of some important experimental information relating to the insulating solids. These properties may be regarded as falling into four classes. These are: (a) general crystallo-graphic data, (b) electronic data, (c) optical properties, and (d) mechanical properties. This compilation is not exhaustive and in preparing it, the author has tried to lean heavily on previous available compilations. Especially in the case of the ionic alkali-halides, much of the data has been available for a substantial amount of time and it is difficult to trace a given measurement back to its origin. Therefore, except for such cases as where the author has resorted to the original literature only the compilation source will be listed. Interested readers will certainly find additional references in the compilations cited here. The data is presented here in a series of seven tables.
KeywordsBulk Modulus Cohesive Energy Electron Volt Experimental Property Static Dielectric Constant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mott, N.F. and Gurney, R.W. (1964). Electronic Processes in Ionic Crystals, (Dover Publications, New York).Google Scholar
- 2.Kittel, C. (1968). Introduction to Solid State Physics, (Third Edition), (John Wiley and Sons, New York).Google Scholar
- 4.Van Vechten, J.A. (Unpublished data).Google Scholar
- 5.Hodby, J.W. (1972). Polarons in Ionic Crystals and Polar Semiconductors, (ed. Devreese, J.T.), (North Holland, Amsterdam).Google Scholar
- 8.De Stefano, T.H. (1970). (Thesis), (Stanford University), (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 9.Bauer, R.S. (1970). (Thesis), (Stanford University), (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 11.Stephan, G. (1970). (Thesis), (University of Rennes), (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 14.Tosi, M.P. (1964). Solid State Physics, Vol. 16, (eds. Seitz, F. and Turnbull, D.), (Academic Press).Google Scholar
- 15.Huntington, H.B. (1958). Solid State Physios, Vol. 7, (eds. Seitz, F. and Turnbull, D.), (Academic Press).Google Scholar