Resonant Raman Scattering in Semiconductors
The phenomenon of Raman scattering is known since 1928 but investigations of this effect in semiconductors are relatively recent . While this may be surprising in view of the large amount of basic research in semiconductors since the discovery of the transistor, it is due to the fact that the usual semiconductors (Ge, Si, GaAs, etc.) are opaque to the standard radiation sources. Thus, the scattering volume in which the interaction of the radiation with the solid occurs is small, determined by the penetration depth of the radiation (inverse of the absorption coefficient) which can be as small as a few hundred Å. Therefore, the scattering efficiency is very weak and studies have only become possible with the advent of strong lasers and spectrometers with excellent scattering light rejection. The measurements are usually performed in the back-scattering configuration, in the manner sketched in figure 1.
KeywordsOptical Phonon Phonon Frequency Order Perturbation Theory Dipole Matrix Element Order Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.See, for instance, various articles in: (1971). Light Scattering in Solids, (ed. Balkanski, M.), (Flamarion, Paris); (1966). Light Scattering in Solids, (ed. Wright, G.B.), (Springer-Verlag, New York).Google Scholar
- 2.Cardona, M. (1969). Modulation Spectroscopy, (Academic Press, Inc., New York).Google Scholar
- 4.Schafer, F.P. (1973). Dye Lasers, Topics in Applied Physics, Vol. I, (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York).Google Scholar
- 5.Buchenauer, C.J., Cerdeira, F. and Cardona, M. (1971). In Light Scattering in Solids, (ed. Balkanski, M.), (Flamarion, Paris), p. 280;Google Scholar
- 8.Keyes, R.W. (1967). Solid State Physics, Vol. 20, (Academic Press, New York), p. 37.Google Scholar
- 9.Besserman, R., Jouanne, M. and Balkanski, M. (1972). Proceedings of The International Conference on The Physics of Semiconductors, Warsaw 1972, (PWN, Polish Scientific Publishers, Warsaw), p. 1181.Google Scholar
- 10.Cerdeira, F., Fjeldly, T.A. and Cardona, M. Fhys. Rev. (in press).Google Scholar
- 15.Weinstein, B.A. and Cardona, M. (1973). Fhys. Rev., (September, 15th).Google Scholar
- 16.Krauzman, M. (1969). In Light Scattering Spectra of Solids, (ed. Wright, G.B.), (Springer-Verlag, New York), p. 109.Google Scholar
- 18.Zeyher, R., Ting, C.S. and Birman, J.L. Fhys. Rev., (to be published).Google Scholar
- 19.Bell, M.I., Tyte, R. and Cardona, M. (To be published).Google Scholar