Theory of Photoemission
These lectures are intended to be an introduction to the theory of photoemission. They are not intended to be a comprehensive review. Whatever inclinations we had to write a review soon dissolved when we examined the literature. There are many recent reviews—a partial list is given with the references. The abundance of good reviews relieved us from the desire to write one. Instead, we have picked some aspects of the subject which are interesting, and discuss them in detail. These divide into two catagories. The first is the one electron theory of photoemission, as applied to solids. The second is the many body theory as applied to photoemission in metals. There are other large areas which have been omitted for lack of space. One is photoemission from surfaces. This includes ideal surfaces, and also adsorbates. These are interesting and active areas.
KeywordsAngular Dependence Excited Electron Angular Measurement Outgoing Wave Core Hole
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.K.L. Kliewer, Phys. Rev. B14, 1412 (1976); B15, 3759 (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.G. Mukhopadhyay and S. Lundqvist, in Photoemission,ed. R.F. Willis, B. Feuerbacher, B. Fitton and C. Backx ( European Space Agency, Noordwijk, 1976 ) pg. 9Google Scholar
- 19.H.P. Kelly, in Photoionization and Other Probes of Many Electron Interactions, ed. F.J. Wuilleumier ( Plenum, New York, 1976 ) pg 83–109.Google Scholar
- 20.see ref.16Google Scholar
- 32.K. Siegbahm, et al, ESCA ( Amavist and Wiksells, Uppsala, 1967 ).Google Scholar
- 39.G.D. Mahan, phys. stat. sol. (b) 55, 703 (1973).Google Scholar
- 40.J.J. Chang and D.C. Langreth, Phys. Rev. B5, 3512 (1972); B8, 4638 (1973).Google Scholar
- 43.A.A. Lucas and E. Kartheuser, Phys, Rev. B1, 388 (1970) A.A. Lucas, E. Kartheuser, and R.G. Badro, Phys. Rev. B2, 2488 (1970).Google Scholar
- 46.R.S. Williams, S.P. Kowalczyk, P.S. Wehner, G. Apai, J. Stohr, and D.A. Shirley (to be published)Google Scholar
- 62.R. Puff and G.D. Whitfield, Polarons and Excitons, ed. C.G. Kuper and G.D. Whitfield ( Plenum, New York, 1963 ) pg. 177.Google Scholar