Absorption and Emission Spectra
A general account of electron-phonon coupling effects on emission and absorption spectra (shape of the spectra and bandwidth) is presented. The purpose of this paper is mainly to show that the theoretical results which happen to be the most important ones for comparison with experiments (for instance the Gaussian spectra in the scope of the semi-classical approximation, the Huang and Rhys model and the detailed shape of the one-phonon replica band), which are generally obtained as a result of more or less highly sophisticated calculations, can indeed be accounted for in a very straightforward way if suitable hypotheses are accepted. There is also a discussion of some experimental results: large band spectra in II-VI compounds (the case of ZnS:Mn is specially examined), edge emission in CdS and R-line emission of ruby.
KeywordsEmission Spectrum Electric Dipole Transition Phonon Line Quadratic Coupling Phonon Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.D. Curie, “Luminescence in Crystals”, Methuen (London) 1963, p.49, 54.Google Scholar
- 3.H. Payen de la Garanderie, Comptes-Rendus Académie des Sciences Paris, 260, 114 (1965).Google Scholar
- 4.“Phonons in perfect lattices and in lattices with point imperfections”, Scottish Universities Summer School 1965, Oliver and Boyd (Edinburgh), 1966, p.431.Google Scholar
- 5.J.J. Markham, “F-centers in alkali-halides”, Solid State Phys., Suppl.8, Academic Press (New York) 1966, p.378.Google Scholar
- 8.D. Curie, Acta Phys. Polonica, 26, 613 (1964).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Payen de la Garanderie and D. Curie, J. Phys., 28, suppl. C 3, 124 (1967).Google Scholar
- 11.M.A. Dugué, Thesis, Paris 1972.Google Scholar
- 13.P. Jaszcyn-Kopec and S. Brandt, to be published in J. of Luminescence, 1974.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Zigone, R. Beserman and B. Lambert, to be published in J. of Luminescence, 1974.Google Scholar