Prostaglandins and Mast Cell Histamine Release
Prostaglandin E1 (PGE1) increases cyclic AMP levels in rat mast cells and inhibits the release of histamine by antigen (Kaliner and Austen, 1974). In the present study, the actions of prostaglandins and drugs affecting prostaglandin metabolism on histamine release following chemical or immunological challenge have been further investigated.
KeywordsMast Cell Histamine Release Calcium Ionophore Flufenamic Acid Inhibit Histamine Release
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CRUTCHLEY, D. J. & PIPER, PRISCILLA J. (1974). Prostaglandin inactivation by guinea-pig lung and its inhibition. Br. J. Pharmac, 52, 197–203.Google Scholar
- ENGINEER, DINAZ, PIPER, PRISCILLA J. & SIROIS, P. (1976). Interaction between the release of SRS-A and prostaglandins. Br. J. Pharmac, 57, 460–461P.Google Scholar
- LOEFFLER, L. J., LOVENBERG, W. & SJOERDSMA, A. (1971). Effects of dibutyryl-3′, 5′-cyclic adenosine monophosphate, phosphodiesterase inhibitors and prostaglandin E1 on compound 48/80-induced histamine release from rat peritoneal mast cells in vitro. Biochem. Pharmac, 20, 2287–2297.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- NORTHOVER, B. J. (1973). Effect of anti-inflammatory drugs on the binding of calcium to cellular membranes in various human and guinea-pig tissues. Br. J. Pharmac, 48, 496–504.Google Scholar
- SHORE, P. A., BURKHALTER, A. & COHN, V. H. (1959). A method for the fluorometric assay of histamine in tissues. J. Pharmac. exp. Ther., 127, 182–186.Google Scholar
- THOMAS, R. U. & WHITTLE, B. J. R. (1976). Prostaglandins and the release of histamine from rat peritoneal mast cells. Br. J. Pharmac, 57, 474–475P.Google Scholar
- VANE, J. R. (1971). Inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis as a mechanism of action for aspirin-like drugs. Nature, New Biol., 231, 232–235.Google Scholar
- WALKER, JOYCE L. (1973). The regulatory role of prostaglandin in the release of histamine and SRS-A from passively sensitized human lung tissue. In: Advances in the Biosciences, vol. 9, 235–240, Pergamon-Vieweg: Braunschweig.Google Scholar