In Vivo and in Vitro Translation of the RNAS of Alfalfa Mosaic Virus
The translation of the purified RNAs of alfalfa mosaic virus, a virus with a coat protein dependent tripartite genome, was studied in different systems. On each RNA only one initiation site was found except on RNA 3. To this RNA two ribosomes could be bound in the presence of inhibitors of the protein elongation. Both in vivo and in vitro coat protein was formed under the direction of RNA 3. The discrepancy between the results of the infectivity and the translation studies, can either be due to an influence of RNA 1 and/or RNA 2 on the translation of RNA 3, or to a difference in regulation between wheat germ extracts and oocytes on one hand and tobacco and bean cells on the other hand. In the E.coli system the translation of RNA 4 can start either with acetylphenylalanine or with formylmethionine. From a comparison of the translation products we calculated that the initiation codon is located at or beyond position 40 from the 5′ terminus.
KeywordsCoat Protein Initiation Site Wheat Germ Fusidic Acid Alfalfa Mosaic Virus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bol, J.F., Bakhuizen, C.E.G.C., and Rutgers, T. (1976) Virology, in press.Google Scholar
- Heller, G. (1966) Ph.D.Thesis, University of Göttingen.Google Scholar
- Heijtink, R.A. (1974) Ph.D.Thesis, University of Leiden.Google Scholar
- Kaesberg, P. (1975) INSERM 47, 205–210.Google Scholar
- Kraal, B., Van Beynum, G.M.A., de Graaf, J.M., Castel, A., and Bosch, L. (1976) Virology 73, in press.Google Scholar
- Pestka, S. (1974). In Methods in Enzymology XXX Nucleic Acids and Protein Synthesis. Part F. (Eds.K. Moldave and L. Grossman) Acad. Press, New York, London.Google Scholar
- Thang, M.N., Dondon, L., Thang, D.C., Mohier, E., Hirth, L., Le Meur, M.A.,and Gerlinger, P. (1975) INSERM 47, 225–232.Google Scholar
- Van Beynum, G.M.A. (1975) Ph.D.Thesis, University of Leiden.Google Scholar
- Van Vloten-Doting, L., Rutgers, T., Neeleman, L., and Bosch, L. (1975) INSERM 47, 233–242.Google Scholar
- Van Vloten-Doting, L. (1976) Ann.Microbiol.(Inst.Pasteur) 1976, 127A, 119–129.Google Scholar
- Van Vloten-Doting, L., and Jaspars, E.M.J. (1976) in “Comprehensive Virology” (H. Fraenkel-Conrat and R.R. Wagner, eds.) Plenum Press New York, in press.Google Scholar