The Effect of Light on RNA and Protein Synthesis in Plants
This lecture deals predominantly with the photoregulation of enzyme levels in plants by the photochromic proteinaceous photoreceptor, phytochrome. While there are claims that photocontrol of enzymes (enzyme synthesis, degradation, and activation) may be mediated by light absorption in other pigments as well (e.g. photo-synthetic pigments ) , the emphasis on phytochrome is justified for two reasons: firstly, phytochrome is the most important molecule in higher plants for the detection of photosignals from the environment and for making use of this information to regulate the orderly development of the living system; secondly, detailed knowledge of the molecular mechanisms through which phytochrome exerts its control over the development of higher plants may serve as a useful model for understanding the control of development in general, i.e. the control of gene expression during development.
KeywordsPhotostationary State Mustard Seedling CsCl Density Gradient Phytochrome System Phytochrome Action
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Mohr, H. (1972) Lectures on Photomorphogenesis. Springer, Berlin-Heidelberg-New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 3.Mitrakos, K. and Shropshire, W. (eds.) (1972) Phytochrome. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 7.Dittes, L., Rissland, I. and Mohr, H. (1971) Z. Naturforsch. 26b, 1175–1180Google Scholar
- 10.Tong, W.-F. (1975) Dissertation, University of Freiburg i. Brsg.Google Scholar
- 11.Tong, W.-F. and Schopfer, P. (1975) PNAS (USA), in pressGoogle Scholar
- 12.Wellmann, E. (1974) Ber.Deut.Bot.Ges. 87, 275–279Google Scholar
- 13.Brüning, K., Drumm, H. and Mohr, H. (1975) Biochem. Physiol. Pflanzen 168, 141–156Google Scholar
- 14.Frosch, S., Bergfeld, R. and Mohr, H. (1976) Planta, submitted for publicationGoogle Scholar
- 15.Frosch, S., Drumm, H. and Mohr, H. (1976), unpublished dataGoogle Scholar
- 16.Mohr, H. and Oelze-Karow, H. (1976) In: Light and Plant Development (H. Smith, ed.) Butterworths, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 21.Malcolm, A.A. and Russell, D.W. (1974) In: Mechanism of Regulation of Plant Growth (Bieleski, R.L., Ferguson, A.R. and Cresswell, M.M., eds.) Bulletin 12, The Royal Society of New Zealand, WellingtonGoogle Scholar
- 24.Higgins, T.J.V., Zwar, J.A. and Jacobson, J.V. (1976) Nature 260, 166–169zGoogle Scholar