Comparative Studies on the Molecular Basis for a Viral Involvement in Murine and Human Mammary Adenocarcinoma
The etiologic role of RNA tumor viruses in a variety of cancers in animals is well established. In many instances proof of causation has been achieved by the inoculation of purified cell-free virus preparations in experiments that satisfy Koch’s postulates. Indirect evidence has been accumulating during the last decade that RNA tumor viruses similar to the mouse mammary tumor virus (MMTV) may be involved in the etiology of human breast cancer.
KeywordsMammary Tumor Human Milk Mouse Mammary Tumor Virus Nucleic Acid Sequence Glycerol Gradient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bentvelzen, P., J. M. Daams, and P. C. Hageman. n.d. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 67:377–384.Google Scholar
- Dmochowski, L., G. Seman, B. Myers, et al. 1968. Texas Med. Rec. Ann. 61:384–387.Google Scholar
- Gillespie, D., S. Marshall, and R. Gallo. 1972. Nature New Biol. 236:227–231.Google Scholar
- Gross, L., A. E. Gessler, and K. S. McCarty. 1950. Pro. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 75:270–276.Google Scholar
- Hageman, P., J. Calafat, and J. M. Daams. 1973. In P. Emmelot and P. Bentvelzen [Editors], RNA viruses and most genome in Oncogenesis. North Holland Pub. Co., Amsterdam and London.Google Scholar
- Keydar, J., Z. Gilead, S. Karby, and E. Harel. 1973. Nature 241: 49–52.Google Scholar
- Michalides, R., J. Schlom, and S. Spiegelman. Homology in nucleic acid sequence between virus particles from human milk and breast adenocarcinoma. Manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- Muhlbock, O. and P. Bentvelzen. 1969. Virology 6:75–81.Google Scholar
- O’Connor, T. E., F. J. Rauscher, G. de The, M. A. Fink, and P. Gerber. 1966. Nat. Cancer Inst. Mongr. 22:205–221.Google Scholar
- Parks, W., R. W. Gillette, K. Blackman, et al. 1972. Mammary tumor virus expression in mice, in immunological studies. Proc. of 7th Mtg. of Breast Cancer in Animal and Man (Grenoble), 77–90.Google Scholar
- Schlom, J. and S. Spiegelman. 1973. Amer. J. Clin. Pathol. 60:44–56.Google Scholar