Settlement Characteristics of Sea-Floor Sediments Subjected to Vertical Loads
Cores from five sites were analyzed in the laboratory to determine index and compression/consolidation properties. Based on these data, predictions were made for the long-term settlement behavior of small footing-type foundations for each of the sites. The foundations were placed at four of the sites and their behavior monitored. Interrelationships of sediment properties, including consolidation and secondary compression coefficients, are discussed along with the procedure used to predict settlements based on the sediment properties. Predicted and measured settlements are compared and discussed.
KeywordsVoid Ratio Liquid Limit Excess Pore Pressure Compression Index Initial Void Ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Demars, K. R., and R. J. Taylor, Naval sea floor soil sampling and in-place test equipment: a performance evaluation, U. S. Naval Civil Engineering Laboratory Tech. Rept. R-730, 1971.Google Scholar
- Dzwilewski, P. T., and A. G. Richards, Consolidation Properties of Wilkinson Basin Soils, preprint of a paper submitted to the J. Soil Mech. Fdn. Div., Am. Soc. Civil Engrs., 1972.Google Scholar
- Herrmann, H. G., K. Rocker, Jr., and P. H., Babineau, LOBSTER and FMS: devices for monitoring long-term sea floor foundation behavior, U. S. Naval Civil Engineering Laboratory Tech. Rept. R-775, 1972.Google Scholar
- Hough, B. K., Basic Soils Engineering, Second Edition, The Ronald Press, N. Y., 1969.Google Scholar
- Lambe, T. W., and R. V. Whitman, Soil Mechanics, Wiley, N. Y., 1969.Google Scholar
- Mesri, C., Coefficient of Secondary Compression, J. Soil Mech. Fdn. Div., Am. Soc. Civil Engrs., 99(SM1), 123–137, 1973.Google Scholar
- Moore, P. J., and G. K. Spencer, Settlement of building on deep compressible soil, J. Soil Mech. Fdn., Am. Soc. Civil Engrs., 95(SM3), 769–790, 1969.Google Scholar
- Navfac DM-7, Design Manual: Soil Mechanics, Foundations and Earth Structures, U. S. Naval Facilities Engineering Command, 1971.Google Scholar
- Noorany, I., and S. F. Gizienski, Engineering properties of submarine soils: state-of-the-art review, J. Soil Mech. Fdn. Div., Am. Soc. Civil Engrs., 96(SM5), 1735–1762, 1970.Google Scholar
- Richards, A. F., Investigations of deep-sea sediment cores, II: mass physical properties, U. S. Navy Hydrographic Office Tech. Rept. TR-106, 1962.Google Scholar
- Richards, A. F., and E. L. Hamilton, Investigation of deep-sea sediment cores, III: Consolidation, in Marine Geotechnique, edited by A. F. Richards, pp. 93–117, Univ. of Ill. Press, Urbana, 1967.Google Scholar
- Singh, A., and Z. Yang, Secondary compression characteristics of a deep ocean sediment, in Proc. Intern. Symp. Eng. Properties of Sea Floor Soils and their Geophys. Ident., pp. 121-129, Seattle, 1971.Google Scholar