Many drugs and other procedures produce all or part of their effects on smooth muscle indirectly, by modifying the release of catecholamines from adrenergic nerve terminals. (The loci and mechanisms of action of such drugs are discussed in Part II, Chapter 5) The estimation of the catecholamine contents of smooth muscles and of their perfusates or bathing media is thus frequently an important part of the study of drugs acting on smooth muscle.
KeywordsCation Exchange Resin Thioglycollic Acid Bathing Medium Liquid Scintillation Spectrometry Sodium Meta Bisulfite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anton, A. H. and Sayre, D. F. 1962. A study of the factors affecting the aluminium oxidetrihydroxyindole procedure for the analysis of catecholamines.Pharmac. Exp. Ther.138: 360–375.Google Scholar
- Burnstock, G. 1969. Evolution of the autonomic innervation of visceral and cardiovascular systems in vertebrates. Pharmac. Rev., 21: 247–324.Google Scholar
- Gaddum, J. H. and Lembeck, F. 1949. The assay of substances from the adrenal medulla.Br. J. Pharmac., 4:401–408.Google Scholar
- Häggendal, J. 1966. Newer developments in catecholamine assay. Pharmac. Rev.18:325–329.Google Scholar
- Iversen, L. L. 1967. The Uptake and Storage of Noradrenaline, pp. 5–16, Cambridge University, London.Google Scholar
- Sharman, D. F. 1971. Methods of determination of catecholamines and their metabolites. In: Methods and Techniques of Neuro sciences, pp. 83–127. Ed. by Fried, R. Marcel Dekker, New York.Google Scholar
- Shote, P. A. and Olin, J. S. 1958. Identification and chemical assay of norepinephrine in brain and other tissues. J. Pharmac. Exp. Ther., 122:295–300.Google Scholar
- Udenfriend, S. 1962. Fluoroescence Assay in Biology and Medicine. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Vane, J. R. 1964. The use of isolated organs for detecting active substances in the circulating blood. Br. J. Pharmac.23:360–373.Google Scholar
- Vane, J. R. 1966. The estimation of catecholamines by biological assay. Pharmac. Rev.18:317–324.Google Scholar
- Vogt, M. 1971. Bioassay. In: Handbuch, der Exper. Pharmak., 28/2, pp. 108–117.Google Scholar
- Weil-Malherbe, H. 1959. The fluorimetric estimation of catechol compounds by the ethylenediamine condensation method. Pharmac. Rev.11:278–288.Google Scholar
- Weil-Malherbe, H. 1971. Determination of catechol amines. In: Analysis of Biogenic Amines and Their Related Enzymes, pp. 119–152. Ed. by Glick, D. Wiley, New York.Google Scholar