In recent years a large number of analytical methods for the measurement of cyclic AMP in tissues and of in vitro adenyl cyclase activity have been developed. Many problems inherent in these methods have been recognized and sources of error eliminated In spite of these achievements, investigators frequently encounter problems whenever new techniques are adopted, and much time is then spent in setting up procedures and routines. Such difficulties are not surprising since one is dealing with complex reactions and with minute quantities of analytical material in the presence of many potentially interfering substances.
KeywordsCyclic Nucleotide Adenyl Cyclase Activity Cyclic Nucleotide Phosphodiesterase Ethylene Glycol Monomethyl Ether Saturation Assay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Butcher, R. W. and Sutherland, E. W. 1962. Adenosine 3’,5’-phosphate in biological materials. I. Purification and properties of cyclic 3’,5’-nucleotide phosphodiesterase and use of this enzyme to characterize adenosine 3’,5’-phosphate in human tissue. J. Biol. Chem, 237: 1244–1250.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Daniel, E. E. and Bolan, J. 1972. Personal communication.Google Scholar
- Ekins, R. and Newman, B. 1970. Theoretical aspects of saturation analysis. Acta Endocrinol, 64(Suppl. 147): 11–36.Google Scholar
- Geddes, B. A., McDonald, J. W. D., Patterson, N. A. M., and Lefcoe, N. M. 1972. Personal communication.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, N. D., Lust, W. D., O’Dea, R. F., Wei, S., and OToole, A. G. 1970. A role of cyclic nucleotides in brain metabolism. In: Role of Cyclic AMP in Cell Function, Nol 3, pp. 67–87. Ed. by Greengard, P. and Costa, E., Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Krishna, G., Weiss, B., and Brodie, B. B. 1968. A simple, sensitive method for the assay of adenyl cyclase. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther, 163:397–385.Google Scholar
- Krishna, G., Forn, J., Voigt, K., Paul, M., and Gersa, G. L. 1970. Dynamic aspects of neurohormonal control of cyclic 3’,5’-AMP synthesis in brain. In: Role of Cyclic AMP in Cell Function, Vol. 3, pp. 155- 172. Ed. by Greengard, P. and Costa, E. Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- McKenzie, S. G. and Bär, H. P. 1972. Unpublished results.Google Scholar
- O’Dea, R. F., Haddox, M., and Goldberg, N. D. 1970. Enzymatic hydrolysis of cyclic nucletotides at low temperature. Pharmacologist, 12:291.Google Scholar
- Robison, G. A., Butcher, R. W., and Sutherland, E. W. 1971. Cyclic AMP, 1st ed.. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Steiner, A. C., Parker, C. W., and Kipnis, D. M. 1972b. Radioimmunoassay for cyclic nucleotides. I. Preparation of antibodies and iodinated cyclic nucleotides. J. Biol. Chem, 247:1105–1113.Google Scholar