Nerve—Muscle Preparations of Vascular Smooth Muscle
The experimental necessity for adopting the in vitro method for the study of organs and tissues and the general advantages and disadvantages of this methodology are well known. Experimentalists should recognize the specific limitations of existing in vitro methods used to study blood vessels in particular, since the isolation of a tissue always imposes some restriction on the conclusions of the experimentalist.
KeywordsVascular Smooth Muscle Superior Cervical Ganglion Vessel Perfusion Tissue Bath Rabbit Pulmonary Artery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bevan, J. A. 1960. The use of the rabbit aorta strip in the analysis of the mode of action of epinephrine on vascular smooth muscle. J. Pharmacol., 129:417–427.Google Scholar
- Bevan, J. A. 1962. Some characteristics of the isolated sympathetic nerve-pulmonary artery preparation of the rabbit. J. Pharmacol., 137:213–218.Google Scholar
- Bevan, J. A. 1963. Action of tetraethylammonium chloride on the sympathetic ganglia-pulmonary artery preparation. J. Pharmacol., 140:193–198.Google Scholar
- Bevan, J. A. and Su, C. 1964. The sympathetic mechanism in the isolated pulmonary artery of the rabbit. Br. J. Pharmacol., 22:176–182.Google Scholar
- Burton, A. C. 1962. Physical principles of circulatory phenomena: the physical equilibria of the heart and blood vessels. In: Handbook of Physiology, Section 2: Circulation, Vol. I, pp. 85–106, American Physiological Society, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Chambers, D. R. and Munroe, P. A. G., Eds. 1969. Symposium on Techniques Used in the Study of Micro-circulation. The British Microcirculation Society.Google Scholar
- Gero, J. and Gerová, M. 1971. In vivo studies of sympathetic control of vessels of different function. In: Physiology and Pharmacology of Vascular Neuroeffector Systems, pp. 86–94. Ed. by Bevan, J. A., Furchgott, R. F., Maxwell, R., and Somlyo, A. P., S. Karger, Basel.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, G. A. G. 1956. Cardiovascular Innervation. E. and S. Livingston, London.Google Scholar
- Pick, J. 1970. The Autonomic Nervous System. J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.Google Scholar
- Su, C. 1968. A superfused and transmurally stimulated artery preparation. Proc. Western Pharmacol Soc., 11:143–144.Google Scholar
- Su, C. and Bevan, J. A. 1970. The release of H3-norepinephrine in arterial strips studied by the technique of superfusion and transmural stimulation. J. Pharmacol., 172:62–68.Google Scholar
- Su, C and Bevan, J. A. 1971. Adrenergic transmitter release and distribution in blood vessels. In: Physiology and Pharmacology of Vascular Neuroeffector Systems, pp. 13–21. Ed. by Bevan, J. A., Furchgott, R. F., Maxwell, R., and Somlyo, A. P., S. Karger, Basel.Google Scholar