NMR Studies of the Interaction Between Sodium Ions and Anionic Surfactants in Some Amphiphile-Water Systems
An elucidation of the interaction mechanism between small ions and ionic amphiphiles in lyotropic mesophases is of considerable chemical interest since biological membranes have been shown to have several properties in common with liquid crystals formed by ionic amphiphiles and water.1 Furthermore, it has been observed that phase equilibria2 and aggregate shapes2,3 depend markedly on the nature of the counter-ion in surfactant systems; and, therefore, a better understanding of the conditions for occurrence of different types of lyotropic mesophases may be expected by probing into the ion binding in solutions containing ionic amphiphiles. Additionally, studies of the ion binding in colloidal systems may prove valuable in connection with theoretical approaches to the ion binding in polyelectrolyte solutions.
KeywordsAnionic Surfactant Quadrupole Splitting Heavy Water Surfactant System Electric Field Gradient Tensor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Chapman, in “Membranes and Ion Transport” (E.E. Bittar Ed.) vol. 1, Wiley-interscience, London 1970, p. 23.Google Scholar
- 2.P. Ekwall, I. Danielsson and P. Stenius, in MTP International Review of Science, Physical Chemistry, Series one, vol. 7, Butterworths 1972, p. 97.Google Scholar
- 4.G. Lindblom and B. Lindman, Mol.Cryst. Liquid Cryst. in press.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Andrasko, I. Lindqvist and T.E. Bull, Chemica Scripta 1972, 2, 93.Google Scholar
- 7.N.-O. Persson, H. Wennerström and B. Lindman, Acta Chem.Scand., in press.Google Scholar
- 12.H. Gustavsson and B. Lindman, Chem.Commun. 1973, 93.Google Scholar
- 13.N.-O. Persson and B. Lindman, to be published.Google Scholar
- 15.A. Abragam, “The Principles of Nuclear Magnetism”, Clarendon Press, London 1961.Google Scholar
- 19.G. Lindblom and B. Lindman, Proc.Intern.Congr. Surface Active Agents, 6th Zürich 1972, in press.Google Scholar
- 20.H. Wennerström, G. Lindblom and B. Lindman, to be published.Google Scholar
- 22.K. Fontell, J. Colloid Interface Sci., in press.Google Scholar