An Experiment with a Relational Data Base System in Environmental Research
The use of computers in environmental research presents a number of problems both to the ecologist and the systems analyst. An analysis of some of these problems led in the reported project to the development of a prototype data base system, founded on the relational concept. In this paper we discuss certain characteristics of environmental data and their use, we show how these characteristics were mapped onto requirements on the software tools, and we describe how the final system attempts to meet these requirements.
KeywordsQuery Language Data Base System Actual Query Data Processing Tool Generalize Information System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. C. Milton and A. Nelder (eds.),Statistical Computation, Academic Press, London (1969).Google Scholar
- 2.Generalized Information System GIS/360, Application Description Manual (Version 2), GH20-0892, IBM, White Plains, New York (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.M. G. Notley, The Peterlee IS/1 System, IBM (UK) Scientific Centre Report, UKSC-0018 (March 1972).Google Scholar
- 4.E. F. Codd, A Relational Model for Large Shared Data Bases,Commun. ACM 13(June) (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.E. F. Codd, A Data Base Sublanguage founded on the Relational Calculus, IBM Research Report RJ 893 (July 1971).Google Scholar
- 6.E. F. Codd, Relational Completeness of Data Base Sublanguages, inData Base Systems(Courant Computer Science Symposia, No. 6, New York, May 1971), to be published by Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar