The problem of constructing an efficient retrieval algorithm for responding to queries of arbitrary complexity on a relational data base is considered. A query, represented by a relation-defining expression in the relational calculus, is translated into a retrieval algorithm.
KeywordsResponse Relation Reduction Algorithm Relational Algebra Retrieval Algorithm Target Relation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. F. Codd, Further Normalization of the Data Base Relational Model, inCourant Computer Science Symposia, No. 6, Data Base Systems (New York City, May 1971 ), Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- 3.E. F. Codd, A Data Base Sublanguage Founded on the Relational Calculus, PROC. ACM-SIGFIDET workshop on Data Description, Access, and Control (San Diego, 1971 ), ACM, New York.Google Scholar
- 4.E. F. Codd, Relational Completeness of Data Base Sublanguages, inCourant Computer Science Symposia, No. 6, Data Base Systems ( New York City, May 1971 ), Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- 5.APL Users Manual, SH20-0906-0, IBM.Google Scholar
- 6.J. B. Rosser,Logic for Mathematicians, McGraw-Hill, New York (1953).Google Scholar