Total β-Decay Energies of Nuclei Far from Stability: Evidence for the Wigner Symmetry Energy in Rb and Kr Masses
At the preceding Conference in this series, data from ISOLDE were presented  on total decay energies of medium- and high-A nuclei far from stability. We recall here the observation of a “ridge” in the mass surface, unaccounted for in the mass calculations, extending through several Z-values in the A ~ 180 region, 4–5 mass numbers to the proton-rich side of the valley of stability. In continued experiments at the CERN on-line isotope separator , similar low-resolution survey-tyRe measurements have been performed on proton-rich Kr and Br nuclei , and, more recently, on proton-rich isotopes of Rb and Cs, as well as neutron-rich nuclei in the Fr-Ra-Ac region . In many cases it has been possible to go from mass differences to the atomic masses themselves, by connecting down through a decay chain to a nucleide of known mass.
KeywordsSymmetry Energy Nuclear Phys Nuclear Symmetry Energy Total Decay Energy Coulomb Displacement Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2).The ISOLDE Isotope Separator On-Line Facility at CERN (Eds. A. Kjelberg and G. Rudstam), CERN 70–3 (1970).Google Scholar
- 4).L. Westgaard, K. Aleklett, G. Nyman and E. Roeckl, Masses and Qβ- values of short-lived isotopes of rubidium, caesium, francium and radium, to be submitted to Z. Physik.Google Scholar
- 6).H.L. Ravn, S. Sundell and L. Westgaard, Nuclear Instrum. Methods 123, 131 (1975).Google Scholar
- 7).G. Rudstam, E. Lund, L. Westgaard and B. Grapengiesser, Proc. Internat. Conf. on the Properties of Nuclei Far from the Region of Beta-Stability, Leysin, 1970 [CERN 70–30 (1970)], Vol. 1, p. 341.Google Scholar
- 8).J. Liptak and W. Habenicht, Dubna preprint P 6–8279 (1974).Google Scholar
- 15).J.R. Clifford, W.L. Talbert, Jr., F.K. Wohn, J.P. Adams and J.R. McConnell, Phys. Rev. C 7, 2535 (1973).Google Scholar
- 16).M.I. Macias-Marques, R. Foucher, M. Cailliau and J. Belhassen, Proc. Internat. Conf. on the Properties of Nuclei Far from the Re ion of Beta-Stability, Leysin, 1970 [CERN 70–30 (1970)], Vol. 1, p. 231.Google Scholar
- 18).W.D. Myers and W.J. Swiatecki, UCRL-11980 (1965) and Nuclear Phys. 81, 1 (1966).Google Scholar
- 22).W.D. Myers, preprint LBL-3428 (1974).Google Scholar
- 25).E. Comay, S. Liran, J. Wagman and N. Zeldes, Proc. Internat. Conf. on the Properties of Nuclei Far from the Region of Beta-Stability, Leysin, 1970 [CERN 70–30 (1970)], Vol. 1, p. 165.Google Scholar