The Measurement of Fundamental Constants (Metrology) and Its Effect on Scientific and Technical Progress
It is perhaps appropriate that in this year 1975, which marks the centenary of the Système Métrique and that of the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures, scientific activity in the field of Metrology appears to be flourishing. This is witnessed on the one hand by the number, range and quality of the contributions to this Symposium and, on the other, by the importance which most of the 44 Governments affiliated to the BIPM attach both to their Basic Laboratories and to the network of technical centers engaged in developing measuring methods and in disseminating their results to all levels of the various branches of industry. Should this state of affairs be considered a happy but ephemeral stage in the march of science, or does it represent a tendency of fundamental importance in the evolution of science and technology ? Enough is now known about the history of civilization for us to affirm that, even since the Renaissance, Metrology has payed an ever greater part in both scientific and civic activities.
KeywordsElectrical Theory Toothed Wheel Copernican Theory Jupiterian Satellite 18th Century Voyage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- See P. Grivets Mesures physiques bass sur des techniques radioectriques, Part I, Citde la lumie dans Ze vide, RGE, 67, 285-300, 1958, and E. Bergstrand, Handbuch der Physik, t. 24, p. 1.Google Scholar
- A.C.Josephson-effect of e/h - A Standard of Electrochemical Potential Based on Macroscopic Quantum Phase Coherence in Suerconductors. F. F. Finnegan, A.Denenstein, D.N.Langenberg, in the Phys. Rev., 3rd series, B4, 1487 - 1522, 1971.Google Scholar
- D.N.Langenberg, W.H.Parker, and B.N.Taylor, in the Phys. Rev. 150, 186, 1966, and Phys. Rev. Lett., 22, 259, 1966.Google Scholar
- Many others have, however followed these (J. Clarke: Phys. Rev. Lett., 21, 156.6-69, 1968; Proc. Roy. Soc. A, 308, 1969; Phys. Rev., B4, 2963, 1971 ).Google Scholar
- Detection of Very Weak Magnetic Field by Rb Zero Field Level Crossing Reasonances, J. Dupont-Roc, S. Haroche, C. Cohen-Tannoudji, Phys. Letters, 28A, 638 - 9, 1969.Google Scholar