Wanderings in Neuroendocrinology
“Looking back,” Nat King Cole once sang, “there’s one mistake I’d never make again.” I can accept no such limitation. Many mistakes I have made, many more I would make, and many I would probably make again. It would have been pleasant had I realized sooner how my own observations were pointing toward neuroendocrine mechanisms. I regret that the quantitative importance of the hypophyseal portal blood supply did not occur to me until Harris’s elegant surgical procedures made it abundantly clear. And I am sorry that distractions deflected me only too often from the mainstream of neuroendocrine research.
KeywordsChoroid Plexus Silver Nitrate Antithyroid Drug Pituitary Stalk Area Postrema
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dempsey, E. W. (1937). Follicular growth rate and ovulation after various experimental procedures in the guinea pig. Am. J. Physiol. 120: 126.Google Scholar
- Dempsey, E. W. (1948). The chemical cytology of endocrine glands. Recent Prog. Horm. Res. 3: 127.Google Scholar
- Dempsey, E. W. (1951). Homeostasis. Pages 209–235 In S. S. Stevens, ed. Handbook of Experimental Psychology, John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Dempsey, E. W. (1975). Ultrastructural and x-ray analysis after electron excitation of primate placentas, with remarks on the transport of iron and calcium. Am. J. Anat., in press.Google Scholar
- Dempsey, E. W., J. U. M. Jarvis, M. L. Purkerson (1974). The location of sulfur in spermatozoa by energy dispersive X-ray analysis and scanning electron microscopy. Pages 631–637 in Scanning Electron Microscopy/1974 (Part 3 ). IIT Research Institute, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Duvernoy, H., J. G. Koritké (1965). Contribution a l’étude de l’angioarchitectonie des organes circumventriculaires. Arch. Biol. 75: 849.Google Scholar
- Goldmann, E. E. (1913). Vitalfärbung am Zentralnervensystem. K. Academie de Wissenschaften, Berlin. 9.Google Scholar
- Tilney, F. (1938). The glands of the brain with special reference to the pituitary gland. In The Pituitary Gland. Proc. Assoc. Res. Nerv. Ment. Dis., 17: 1.Google Scholar
- Wislocki, G. B. (1938). The vascular supply of the hypophysis cerebri of the Rhesus monkey and man. In The Pituitary Gland. Proc. Assoc. Res. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 17: 48.Google Scholar
- Wislocki, G. B., E. W. Dempsey (19486). The chemical cytology of the choroid plexus and blood brain barrier of the Rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta). J. Comp. Neurol. 88: 319.Google Scholar