The Future of Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) as a Clinical and Research Tool
The initial reception of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), particularly in North America, was tinged with pessimism and skepticism (1,2). In the short span of two years, a spate of reports documenting experiences at centers throughout the world testifies to the rapid development of individual skill in the technique and to the value of ERCP in the clinical management of pancreatic and biliary tract diseases (3,4,5,6,7). Therefore, it seems appropriate to venture an estimate of the future clinical and research value of this tool so that individuals and institutions will be encouraged to invest the time and treasure necessary to master the technic. The opinion expressed here results from experience gained through more than 400 attempts at endoscopic retrograde cannulation of the papilla of Vater.
KeywordsBile Duct Chronic Pancreatitis Biliary Tract Intrahepatic Bile Duct Common Duct
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 10.BRESLAW JS, KESSLER RE, ZIMMON DS: Diagnosis of pancreatic and biliary disease by endoscopy combined with retrograde cholangiography and pancreatography (abstract). Gastroenterology 64: 704, 1973.Google Scholar
- 11.ZIMMON DS, FALKENSTEIN DB, ABRAMS RM, et al: Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in the diagnosis of pancreatic inflammatory disease . Radiology (in press).Google Scholar
- 12.NEBEL OT: Endoscopic manometry: A new technique for the physiologic study of the human sphincter of Oddi (abstract). Gastro Endo 20: 182, 1974.Google Scholar
- 14.FALKENSTEIN DB, RICCOBONO C, ABRAMS R et al: The endoscopic retrograde intrahepatic cholangiogram (abstract). Gastro Endo 20: 179, 1974.Google Scholar
- 15.BURHENNE HJ: Nonoperative retained biliary tract stone extraction: a new roentgenologic technique. Am J Roent, Radium Therapy S Nuclear Med 117: 388–399, 1973.Google Scholar
- 17.SHAPIRO HA, CARLSON R: “Succotash” cholangitis diagnosis by retrograde endoscopic cholangiography (abstract). Gastro Endo 20: 185, 1974.Google Scholar