Muscle activation: the current status
I was pleased to have been asked to organize a session in this Symposium for a number of reasons, some sentimental and some scientific. One of the sentimental ones is that Kacy Cole was one of my advisors in graduate school at the University of Chicago and I am grateful to him for the guidance he provided at that time. Kacy left Chicago before 1 finished my thesis work to become Technical Director of the Naval Medical Research Institute in Bethesda, but we met again when I went there to take a postdoctoral fellowship with Manuel Morales, who introduced me to muscle cells. Kacy “welcomed me aboard” when I arrived, and I began a stay that lasted a number of happy years.
KeywordsSarcoplasmic Reticulum Calcium Release Horseshoe Crab Internal Membrane Transverse Tubule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ebashi, S.J. Biochem. Tokyo 50: 236, 1961.Google Scholar
- 5.Ford, L. E., and R. J. Podolsky. J. Physiol. London 223: 1, 1972.Google Scholar
- 6.Ford, L. E. and R. J. Podolsky. J. Physiol. London 223: 21, 1972.Google Scholar
- 7.Hasselbach, W., and M. Makinose. Biochem. Z. 333: 518, 1961.Google Scholar
- 8.Hellam, D. C., and R. J. Podolsky. J. Physiol. London 200: 807, 1969.Google Scholar
- 9.Huxley, A. F., and R. W. Straub. J. Physiol. London 143: 40P, 1958.Google Scholar
- 10.Huxley, A. F., and R. E. Taylor. J. Physiol. London 144: 426, 1958.Google Scholar
- 13.Nakajima, Y., and M. Endo. Nature New Biol. 246: 216, 1973.Google Scholar
- 14.Natori, R.Jikeikai Med. J. 1: 119, 1954.Google Scholar
- 16.Podolsky, R. J., and L. L. Costantin. Federation Proc. 23: 933, 1964.Google Scholar
- 18.Taylor, S. R., R. Rüdel and J. R. Blinks. Federation Proc. 34: 1379, 1975.Google Scholar
- 19.Veratti, E.Memorie Istituto Lombardo di Scienze e Lettere. 19: 87, Ser III, No. 10, 1902. Reprinted in: J. Biophys. Biochem. Cytol. 10 (No. 4, Part 2): 1, 1961.Google Scholar